VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trawling the net...I'm about to give up. Due to service the van this weekend and change the oil.

Does anyone know what I should be using:confused:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Think its 5.5 litres of a VW 505.00 spec oil... think i used a 5-40w full synthetic castrol last time.
Might be worth pricing it with the stealers just for a comparison for what they use and charge

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just out of curiousity .. would it make much difference on wether its 5-40 or 15-40??
Is one just slightly thicker?? Would have thought as long as its VW 505.00 it would be ok?

·
Registered
106 Posts
its the quantum long life oil from the main dealer for 2.5tdi can use it in both petrol and diesel engines now top stuff

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
T:

Thanks, I'll do that
hi again, you are getting conflicting advice here, i went into vw van centre yesterday and aked for the best oil money can buy for my t4 2.5tdi they put me onto quantum 15w40 which is vw 505 , they would not give me anything else, including longlife saying that is what the t5 uses, it was only £14 for 5lt so i bought 2 drums , so to satisfy yourself, give them a phone, i certainly have,nt heard of a dealer selling the cheapest of anything when i was willing to pay whatever.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
hi again, you are getting conflicting advice here, i went into vw van centre yesterday and aked for the best oil money can buy for my t4 2.5tdi they put me onto quantum 15w40 which is vw 505 , they would not give me anything else, including longlife saying that is what the t5 uses, it was only £14 for 5lt so i bought 2 drums , so to satisfy yourself, give them a phone, i certainly have,nt heard of a dealer selling the cheapest of anything when i was willing to pay whatever.
Id agree ... prolly better off with the cheaper 505 quantum and more frequent changes rather than splashing £50 on some expensive castrol stuff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just bought castrol gtx 15w-40...it is vw spec and is aimed at higher mileage engines...75,000 miles and above... at Wilkinsons for £16.99 for 4 litres....about 6 quid less than Halfords..

just got 2 of them as owners manual suggests sump holds 5.5 litresT:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just try not to get oil run right into your arm pit as you unscrew the filter, oil all over the driveway as you pull the sump plug out and it misses the bucket... or a new copper washer when you pop it back on. Sounds like a pretty good deal.. T:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I used. Fuchs Titan 5w40 from GSF is a good quality oil at a reasonable price.
I'm no oil expert, but the advice I'd been given was steer toward an oil which is a bit thicker (viscosity) as it will look after an 'older' engine on start up. Once heated they all end up similar. Not sure how true that is?! Thin oil can cause pressure issues apparently, but thicker oil may struggle on a really cold start?

Who knows...its got GTX in now and is purring..hehe. Changed the oil filter as well..that was fun..tip for anyone replacing..run a bit of oil on the seal of the new one..that way it should come off easier when changing next time!! Changed fuel, air and pollen filter whilst at it...allow a couple of hours..fuel filter is a bit entertaining as well?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used either Quantum Synta 10w40 or castrol magnatec 10w40 in all the vans I've had (1.9td, 2.4, 2.5 88&102) this past ten years with zero problems. Personally I find fully synthetic too thin for older engines. They would all have had their oil changed every 5-6k miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts