VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2004 1.9 T5 has an oil leak. I started looking for it this morning and found the Metal pipe on the left side of the engine has oil around the joint where it attaches to the Rubber pipe that says "Top K" and goes to the radiator. Can someone explain if that's an easy fix? What is in that pipe as I may decide to take it off and is oil around there normal?

Thanks guys,
Ed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been digging around a bit more and not sure if the pipe does go to radiator. If someone can let me know what the pipe is I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Ed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one can tell me what that pipe is?

Noticed I have oil from the thick hose that runs up to manifold?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That pipe is an intake pipe from the turbo to the intercooler, which the air passes through & then goes to the engine via the similar sized pipe on the other side of the engine.
It's not uncommon for oil weepage to be seen around these joints especially if the joint is on the way out. I think the joints can fail resulting in a loss of intake pressure & poor running.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
No one can tell me what that pipe is?

Noticed I have oil from the thick hose that runs up to manifold?
This oil, black crud !, is almost certainly the result of re-cycled exhaust gasses passing through the EGR valve on its way to being re-cycled in the engine. It drains down this pipe towards the intercooler.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers cat 3,yes seeing oil weep from the one on the other side too. Am I best to source a replacement rubber pipe? Or is the seals etc that need changing?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Not sure if you can buy the O-ring s on their own or you have to buy the whole rubber pipe, which has the metal ends bonded to it. From what I've read on here the spring clips/metal part wear & tend to pop off, but without looking physically at the ends it is hard to know what to do for the best. I guess it depends upon how expensive the pipe/pipes are as to whether you replace or try repairing the joint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Cat 3 your explanation was perfect. I posted my other post when you initial answer had not refreshed on my page. Thanks and I will price up parts.

Cheers again mate,

Ed

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey ED216

, I'm gettin the same thing, I was a bit worried as I thought that oil should not be in a pipe from the turbo to the inter cooler.

Andy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pipe on the right hand side comes from the EGR to the intercooler and as from what I have seen on here the chances are my EGR is probs full of black sludge. My next job on the van is to take all the intercooler pipes off and clean the joints and the pipe up. Whilst doing this I will take the EGR off (3 allen bolts) and give the EGR a good de-gunge. Apparently after cleaning, the fuel consumption will improve and performance will increase.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ed, do you mean the pipe on the drivers side in your first post? Mines a 2.5
On mine the half metal half rubber pipe that goes over the cam cover is on the drivers side and is the one which comes from the turbo into the intercooler, this is leaking black oil looking stuff at the joint at the turbo end.

If soot deposits are getting this far back they must have passed from the egr through the intercooler and up and over,through the pipe back towards the turbo. So I guess the intercooler is full of crud too!

Anyone know if this is normal?

Cheers

Andy

Ps £ 76 for a pipe!!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok so I replaced my rubber pipe and no leak around the joint, I think that the black oily soot had collected around the joint and was blowing out of the joint between the metal and rubber of the pipe, soma slight loss in boost and a light spray of crud on surrounding parts. All cleaned off and remaining that way, plus van runs better now too.

Cheers

andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts