VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.
I have had an oil leak for most of the year (yeah, I know I should have got it sorted sooner) & I want to get it sorted.
Can anybody post pics of the rear of an ACV engine? I want to see what can leak on the back of the engine.
I have tried to get pics of my engine from the side & my phone, good as it is, has trouble getting pics of this area.
Best ones:

It is leaving about a 10p sized drip on the drive. I have asked the garage I normaly use & they say "well, at that mileage, seals on your engine begin to dry out & you get leaks!"
I think they don't want the job!
Can anybody help?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Could be the gasket/o-ring on the oil filter bracket/oil cooler. Had that niggly oil leak on mine. Couldn't pin point it for ages. Only a couple of quid for parts from VW but slightly awkward job because of lack of access. It's doable with lots of patience. Fortunately, mines Ex AA with adequate room to roll about underneath. Good luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just to add....if that is the leaking area, which is likely, you will need to remove the oil filter to access the oil cooler and seals. Recommend job done when you next change oil/filter. There is further info in a thread on here...

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi
my first t4 had a terrible leak.
again it was leaving a patch wherever i went.
it ran so low that i nearly siezed the engine.
took the cover off underneath and it was absolutely full of oil.
turned out to be the cam seal and the crank seal. it was also leaking from the oil cooler. cost a packet to fix.
moved the old girl on and bought another.
that one needed a new gear box
moved it on and bought another
this one's fine but i'm sure the starter is on it's way out.
good luck with yours dude. sorry to ramble like

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies folks. I had the cambelt replaced a few months ago. I saw the crankshaft oil seal & it looked clean. The front of the engine looked dry & clean too. It was on a ramp, so I didn't get to look at the back of the engine. I did ask them to look at the oil leak, they said oil filter was one of the areas it was leaking (the other being the filler neck onto the cam cover). It is entirely possible that it is the oil filter bracket.
I cannot get underneath the van myself, because if I try, I get migranes! (I've been to the quack about it - they don't know what it is!) at least if I'm there for more than a few minutes.
I am going to try for some more photo's!
Cheers again!

Edit: a few more pics, from holding the phone & pointing up from the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep....oil all over the shop. At first it looks like sump gasket, then you notice oil further up. It can't be rocker cover gasket because engine tilts forward. the only two likely culprits are the 'O' sealing ring between block and oil filter bracket and/or 'O' sealing ring between oil filter bracket and the oil cooler. However, there are sealing plugs and bolts on the bracket and two rubber pipes to the cooler, but I'd put a wager on the 'O' sealing rings. Like I said earlier, they're cheap, but buggers to replace. If you lived in Cornwall I'd do the job for a pint!!! Must admit I reckon it has to be a common problem on an ACV engine, there must be a Forum member near you that's done the job before!!!!??? Best of luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
funny enough one i bought has the same thing and getttin worse going to get the bits and sort it out ,luckily i have a garage but no pit ,will get it sorted this week

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok bit stuck here .....got to the housing how the heck does it come off cant see any bolts ect holding it onto the block

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
ok bit stuck here .....got to the housing how the heck does it come off cant see any bolts ect holding it onto the block
dunno if its the same as a golf but u need to take the filter off and there will be a nut at the very top inside the housing almost it should dismantle from there as the bolts will be hidden untill you have some parts off:*

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's correct, take filter off revealing oil cooler nut. Take this nut off, together with the plastic oil collector, and the oil cooler will pull away from the oil filter bracket. The two rubber pipes on the oil cooler are flexible enough to pull the oil cooler out of the way. You shouldn't need to remove these pipes. You'll see an 'o' ring between the two...this needs replacing. With the oil cooler out of the way you'll see a banjo bolt at the back of the oil filter bracket. This holds the bracket to the engine block. Remove the banjo bolt and oil filter bracket revealing the second 'o' ring between engine block and oil filter bracket. Replace this 'o' ring.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Cloudnine...

Looks like crankshaft bearing leak between engine block and gearbox (where gearbox input shaft goes into engine) or gear oil leak from input shaft area. If it's negligable I'd leave it alone!

·
Registered
25 Posts
sorted it not as bad as you think ,where can i get a bloody manual for this ride

jack front up get it on axle stands

remove bottom cover pan

drain oil into a suitable container, as you is going to remove the oil filter so you may as well replace it !

remove bearing strut 3 bolts on engine ,two on bearing carrier

this gives you access

remove oil filter and discard

twist oil cooler gently by hand it will come off fairly easily ,be aware this is a water jacket and has two hoses attached.

there is a plastic cover this will then slip off to show you a larger nut ,this is what hold the oil filter mount to the engine

removing this will allow you to remove the oil mount giving access to the seal mine came off still attached to the mount,

clean off both faces after removing old seal,and make sure you place seal in correct place as its shaped to fit ,reassemble as removed ,there is another seal on water jacket its better to replace this as well this is just a rubber ring that pops out and other one slips in

hold water jacket in place as you screw oil filter back into place

fill with oil (make sure you have replaced nut!)

run up to temp to check everything it ok

replace everything you have taken off then there ya go !

i was qouted approx 200 £ by vw

most other garages did not even want to touch it

parts where approx 14£ plus oil

easy job to do more head scratchin than owt else has i had never had a vehicle with a water jacket ,def confused me

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a few more iffy pics.
Don't know if they will show much though.

Taken by carefully holding the phone over the drivers side shock absorber mount.
I think the leak is getting worse. Now leaving about 2 drops per day.
Got a 300 mile trip next week. I hope it holds out!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think about 120 miles!

I could have sworn that somebody on here posted a diagram of the oil filter, oil cooler, hoses, o rings & housing. Can't find it now.
If I can print that off for my garage, then hopefully they will not baulk at the job!

Edited for distance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a leak on mine also, not sure where its from. Took it to my normal garage and they cleaned it up, gave it back to me drive around for a few days then return it to them to locate it. They still were not sure, but said it may be coming from around crank shaft/cam belt area:eek:, which worried me:(! To be fair, they said they didnt really know what they were looking at and rightly didnt charge me anything. Im taking it to another garage on Thursday, who said he has looked at 100s of T4 and he has a good local reputation. But just reading this post I live near Newquay, Cornwall, so Geoman, if you fancy that pint, im sure we could do businessT:!!!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got my van booked in for a week on Wednesday.
If somebody did post that exploded diagram of the oil filter/cooler assembly, can you please post it on here.
I think the garage is abit pensive about doing the job.
Edit: new pic from passenger side:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts