VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please could someone help me with a problem im having. I bought a 98 T4 1.9TD last october. Van runs fine. Just one thing im unsure of really. Since i bought it the oil light would flash once or twice after ignition and only when it is cold, along with this the van would shudder a bit when sitting idle upon startup and exhaust emits a flume of smoke but again only when its cold. once van is warmed up there is no smoke and is fine in idle. Now after this cold spell we had the oil light will flash for several minutes after driving off and battery light stays off before and after ignition. Do i have a big problem on my hands or is it most likely elctrical?

thanks

Stephen

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just sounds like you need to replace the oil presure switchs theres two and probably you alternator is knackerd :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, Im almost a nervous wreck when it comes to vans now. This is my 2nd t4 in the space of a year or so, first one i bought the engine basically blew up or something so replaced engine. replacement engine blew a head gasket and head was cracked in 4 places within a few months of having it in. Figured i just got unlucky with the first van and bought the newer one. heres hoping for an engine that lasts a bit longer than the first ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
its two small wires on the back of the autinator mate they brake off and the oil light will flash or just one mite have broke did the same on my 98 1.9 took me ages to find out but got the answer of here T:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot Guys, I hope to have a friend of a friend look at it on wednesday or thursday. Ill mention what you have said and hopefully its a quick fix. will post how i get on.

Cheers
Stephen

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out it was one of the wires on the alternator had broken off. found this out after the van electrics and engine died on the way to auto sparkI: got it sorted though. Maybe get the glow plugs checked to try and rid the van of this juddering!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts