VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a W reg T4 - Wonder if anyone's had this problem. This week, my oil light started flashing, checked oil level and it's fine. At the same time, the rev counter's stopped working, so am presuming this is something electrical. I've got a workshop manual, and the oil pressure and rev counter are on the same wiring diagram. Could this mean that something has fused or become disconnected affecting both?

·
Registered
303 Posts
had this on my daughters 1.9 polo deisel it was alternator worn out not charging enough. oil buzzer on and rev counter shooting up and down.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've given up. Can't even get near the alternator so think i might just drop it into the garage so they can get it up on the ramps. :confused:

·
Registered
378 Posts
That happend to me a few weeks back. Pulled over and looked in the engine bay. My fan belt was in bits. Cheap to replace though

·
Registered
898 Posts
Drop the guard under the van,replace the red wire that attaches onto the alternator.
Did this job last weekend and it solved my flashing oil light and no rev counter.
My red wire was in 3 pieces and the shroud had completely gone:eek:.
Good time to do the oil and filter while under thereT:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drop the guard under the van,replace the red wire that attaches onto the alternator.
Did this job last weekend and it solved my flashing oil light and no rev counter.
My red wire was in 3 pieces and the shroud had completely gone:eek:.
Good time to do the oil and filter while under thereT:

Hi, where does the other end of this red wire terminate? or did you replace the wire upto the break?

Kind regards Sam

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just been looking through to help find a solution to my problem and came across the above. My rev-counter doesn't work and the charging light is stopping on along with the oil light flashing and bleeping at me, it also boiled up when I got home, I perhaps drove it a distance of 5 miles at 25mph max. I've looked to find that the alternator belt seems to be ok, but I will change it anyway, the other belt is in shreds so I'm guessing that is my problem? Is this belt called the 'timing belt'? I thought when this went it could cause all types of serious engine problems? Although I've just topped up the water and it fires up, runs and seems to hold temperature ok.
Could you please confirm exactly what these two belts are called and if it's a dealer part only? Also, is there anything else to check with what has happened or have I just got away lightly. My T4 is a '01 1.9TD.
Many thanks and I look forward to your replies, I need to get my van back on the road asap as I use it all day every day,
Ta for the help,
Micky T.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mick
your timing belt is not visible without taking the plastic cover off the front of the engine. There will be two belts that you can see, one is a flat belt about 2 centimetres wide with ribs on the inside face that fit in the small V grooves in the pulleys this drives the alternator etc. The other (outer) belt is a normal style belt which drives the power steering pump.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If one belt has snapped, it may be the waterpump drive belt and causing the overheat issue.
Dont think these have cambelt driven waterpumps, the waterpump is auxilliary belt driven.:)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a W reg T4 - Wonder if anyone's had this problem. This week, my oil light started flashing, checked oil level and it's fine. At the same time, the rev counter's stopped working, so am presuming this is something electrical. I've got a workshop manual, and the oil pressure and rev counter are on the same wiring diagram. Could this mean that something has fused or become disconnected affecting both?
i had this issue when i dropped my fusebox down
when i refitted it,

turnt out to be a bad connection on what looks like a relay but is a junction box with loads of orange wires clipped in to it
pulled them all out and refitted all good

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey thanks for this, just fixed my issue.

I had been placing a fusebox for the leisure battery in the original fuse box and must of caught a relay. Issue solved by checking the connection again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts