VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil warning light on my 2.5 tdi 2001 T4 comes on now and again at slower speeds after a long run. It may be a coincidence but the problem seemed to start after the last oil change. I've asked the garage and they told me that the oil was 15W-30. The van has done 190,000 miles and I'm if wondering if 15w-40 or even 15W-50 would be better considering that the VW 505 specification goes up to 20W-50. Another thing that has occured to me is that the oil might be getting too thin because the oil cooler isn't working properly. Is this a possibility?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that information on the oil cooler sk8longsteve. I'd seen the thread on the DOP problem but it doesn't seem to be an issue with later (1999 onwards) 2.5TDI T4's. Unless anyone knows differently. As an oil cooler fault seems unlikely and the red warning light generally only comes on for a few seconds at low revs when the oil is at its hottest I've decided to have the oil changed to 10W-40 semi synthetic. Hopefully 40 was the hot viscosity before the last oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did switching to a different type of oil solve your problem? Because I have the exact same problem and mileage is around the same as yours was back then.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did switching to a different type of oil solve your problem? Because I have the exact same problem and mileage is around the same as yours was back then.
The vast majority of T4 owners use 10w40, especially on a worn engine.
It also matters what colour the warning light is. Yellow is less severe than red. The warning light also comes on with the buzzer if you overfill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts