VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been in to see a LWB T5 here in Sweden and had a talk with the VW representative. The van is second hand and has done around 93k miles. I asked the question about cambelt change and he assured me that the cambelt isn't changed on any T5 until it has reached 200k km (125k miles)! I've been reading on this forum as well as others, and the consensus is that they should be changed at 60k miles or every 4 years! This means that no T5 here will have had a cambelt change until 125k miles! Who and what to believe! Or is it the English that are changing their cambelts unnecessarily early? Advice please.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I take it you're talking about one of the newer 2.0Ltr T5.1/T6, not the older 1.9 T5 ?

Regardless of that though & even though VW say it'll be OK for that sort of mileage I'd be changing my cam belt long before 125,000 miles. Call me mad if you wish, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A snapped cam belt when the engine is running is always going to wreak some substantial damage so I view a cam belt change as a small price to pay.

My 2005 1.9 has only done around 62,000 miles, but I've had at least four cam belt changes !

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cambelt change is 210 000 kms, either 4 or 5 years - not sure as I hit the kms first! I asked a dealer to replace it at around 160 000 (I think) and they pretty much refused. Another dealer did it at 180 000 kms.

What year is the van in question?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the info. It's a 2012 105 hp I looking at. It's done 120 000 km. Also another one which is 2013 with 125 000 I'm on the clock. They all seem to be saying that the cambelt is not due until 200 000 km. On another issue, I contacted a garage today about changing my cambelt on my 2012 Audi A3. It's done 185 000km and like you said they pretty much said they wouldn't do it until between 200 000 and 210 000km. So there we are. Seems that others are either being over cautious or maybe we're talking about older vans. Anyway, thanks for your reply and for confirming what everyone here in Sweden is telling me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am in Gävle Sweden, with a 2015 T5.1 140 dsg, the local dealer also told me 210,000km but i Agree it seems A bit long, when I wanted to change it for security they Said ”ah you dont need to worry if it’s only 5 years old, when it its coming up to 10 years old you should think about it, but we never change them early” .... are they just trying to avoid as it’s a pain of a job ?, seems very strange different advice in the different markets, what did you do in the end ?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
Hi I am in Gävle Sweden, with a 2015 T5.1 140 dsg, the local dealer also told me 210,000km but i Agree it seems A bit long, when I wanted to change it for security they Said ”ah you dont need to worry if it’s only 5 years old, when it its coming up to 10 years old you should think about it, but we never change them early” .... are they just trying to avoid as it’s a pain of a job ?, seems very strange different advice in the different markets, what did you do in the end ?
I'm pretty sure the four years is a VAG UK only thing to drum up business for main dealers by putting the fear of Christ in you.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm pretty sure the four years is a VAG UK only thing to drum up business for main dealers by putting the fear of Christ in you.
What he said. ☝

I know it is a different make (but same type if belt), my Toyota cambelt is nearly 22 years old....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts