VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just had a unfortunate problem by "stupidly" not checking the vacuum pump rod size when fitting a new (Chinese) pump that according to their site and compatibility tool said it was ok - I thought it needed a bit of pushing to get on but just thought oh this is a better fit!!! OK stop laughing now ha ha - the pump worked well for a hundred miles then disintegrated - lost brakes and lots of oil but have saved the cam and the engine so all kind of good.

OK so my question is - getting a pump to fit a 71mm rod seems impossible so is it OK to simple fit the later type pump and then a 67.5mm rod? Is there any reason why this would not work?

Thanks
Angelo

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
We all learn by our mistakes ....the only place to get a reputable source , with all your vehicle ID info is going to be local , such as TPS , or Euro , etc ...!! I got mine (pierberg)from Euro , and gave me the wrong one ...it broke , but exchanged same day , no quibble ..!! Better to pay the £180-90 and have security ...?? Dont economise on parts that have life-threatening possibilities .......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue is that all the pumps I see advertised are the later ones for the shorter rod - I cannot find one for the longer rod so that was why I am asking if it is simply a matter of swapping both pump and rod for the later type.

The part I had looked fine but broke because of the longer rod I had fitted.

I have stripped the original one and cleaned it all out - I wish I had tried this first now - not refitted it yet but will do tomorrow as a stop gap.

One advantage of the cheap Chinese pump was it split apart instead of holding up and breaking the crank!!!

Par no for the early one is 075 145 100

the later one with a shorter rod is 075 145 100A --- That A makes all the difference.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If you still have the original Vac Pump , I,d be inclined to use the info for parts to rebuild it , at the top of the page , rather than buy a cheap re-pro from China ....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Fwiw, I had a good pump but the wrong (long) rod. I had a machinist friend cut down the rod. It is very hard steel but it is not case hardened it is hard all the way through.
Diamond cutter etc but new face was decent. I used cut face on tappet end, original face on cam end. Perfection (and cheap).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts