VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I got this van a while ago with a pretty optimistic aim of travelling down through Europe this summer. After saving funds whilst studying at uni (difficult) I have begun sorting it out from a panel van to a camper, hopefully.
The battery has gone flat whilst at uni seen as the family couldn't be helpful enough to start it every so often. :mw
VW T4 1.9D 800 special 215k ish on the clock. :jiggy
Ex carpenter's not all bad, bit's of rust here and there but nothing too serious.
Start:

Removed the bulkhead, insulated, ply lined and carpeted.:tu

Oh, and I just purchased these .... A::db

I know some people hate Audi rims on T4's but you can see why so many have 'em, I followed the crowd. :cool:
Need dropping a fair bit with them on though. Getting all the engine back up running soon and going to make an attempt at salvaging ex caravan interior, hob and fridge included for free. Might be difficult and its a risk but it can't hurt, as Tesco say 'every little helps'. LOL: Anyway, hopefully be updating this thread in the near future with more pics and improvements.
Advice is needed and welcomed from anyone, suggestions on how to lay things out, bed designs and electrical needs would be useful. :) New to this and very inexperienced :D What are peoples opinions on securing/not securing the floor with bolts?

Inspired looking at the majority of vans on here, maybe one day mine will become up to scratch. ;)

Thank you W:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Looking good bud,nice carpeting job.T:
Personally I reckon you could stick the floor with a bit of sikoflex here and there,with a r/r bed and furniture it ain't going nowhere.
I did put a few black plasterboard screws through the highpoints as well,but I wouldn't bother next time.
Good luck with it all and I hope you get it ready for the summer trip.;)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Advice is needed and welcomed from anyone, suggestions on how to lay things out, bed designs and electrical needs would be useful. :) New to this and very inexperienced :D What are peoples opinions on securing/not securing the floor with bolts?
I'm doing everything on a budget too. Have built 2 bed frames out of scrap timber, as i changed my mind on layout, but you can see the structures I used in my build thread. Could be food for thought ;)

As for bolting the floor down, not really necessary once you've the weight of the bed, units, and anything else you have in the back. Thats the opinion of many, but dont take it as fact T:

Good work so far, keep doing all you can for yourself, it's much cheaper and IMO more satisfying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks for the advice guys .... and yeah been thinking about a bed that slides out as its the simplest and its cheap, stick a futon on which can be used in bed mode or chair mode and I'll be well away. :D As for the floor not having to be bolted down, less work to get done and money to be spent A:

I have such an urge to work on it everyday :ILU:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soo... the water pump bearing had gone leading to leaks .. new water pump .. battery was dead... new battery. Then went on to testing the cooling system with leaks here and there patched them and then a plastic housing section had cracked carrying water going into the main engine block (not sure what its called) so need that replacing :( Other than that its going well -_-

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been cracking on over the past few days, Vinyl floor, lowering springs, leisure battery, hook up kit, zig unit and LED's all delivered T:
First thing on my list was the floor, chequered black white is what I opted for in the end I quite like the look...

Just need to stick it down flat with some glue or bonding adhesive as there are slight bubble here and there.

Next was the lowering, been excited for this, read a few 'how to' guides and cracked on. The torsion bars at the front were a tiny pain, penetrating oil and a good wire brushing for a few minutes and they came loose though, however after a fair few turns they began to get stiff could this just be due to the rust?? Or is there something else any ideas?? :* Anyway I went as far as possible on the front, then got onto the rear springs. -60mm from eBay and they do the job :) they were considerably smaller in all dimensions though, maybe the springs on had been up graded to a larger size as they didn't look too old at all. Took off the rear springs by jacking up and releasing the damper via the top bolt, to get the new spring back I simply jacked up axle until I could reinserting the damper bolt :) easy peasy. :cool:

Snazzy. just leaving the penetrating stuff on the front a bit longer and then ill try and drop that some more. :ILU:

The LED's I got were just some dirt cheap ones off eBay, 10 in total. Drilled some holes, 3 lines of 3 (9 in total) slipped the LED's through and wired above the roof panel, took a little while but saved me some pocket change against pre wired/made interior lights. Rasp:

Need to grab some sexy looking switches to stick in the dash for the control of these main lights. Got some strip LED's that will go in around the back when the bed an cupboards are in that will be controlled from the back :)

Then I took some pictures of mine and my dads newish van (not a VW but its bloody nice) A:

Pre-lowered btw.
Can't wait to get the cupboards and electrics in :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the units today ... budget ones for now of course, think I might vinyl them myself for savings :)

Fit well after trimming, pretty simple job ... going for the strip LED's under the ledges and on the top should look snazzy A:
Got the front of the roof up too to finish it off, included in the original over head light thing.

Just needs cleaning and maybe a bit of bonding around the edges to hold it up tight. Not too bothered about the slight gap due to bending between the two, curtain and rail will cover that nicely.
Uni exams now for a month, work will resume and end from the 2nd of June :)
Then France and Spain here we come :eek::D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pushed the boat out and bought a smev 9222 with everything that goes with it included :ILU: Easy the most expensive thing purchased :( It looks like it will even cost more than the rock n roll bed I am going for haha.
Pics will be up soon as its in, beginning of June :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Need some help with a circuit diagram for my zig unit etc.

The relay on the bottom left (at least thats what I think it is) ... can anyone direct me on where to get one?? :confused:
Or do I really need it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorted a few little things out yesterday, got the head unit wired in, new front speakers, a couple of rear ones and a mahoosive double sub :) Had a trip to Alton Towers and ran brilliantly. Upload some more pics soon :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finished Uni for the year and can now crack on with the van A:
Stuck a bonnet bra on. Tied down now of course.

Sprayed the dash, still only half done, need to finish that...

Put up some curtains from CMC :)

Smev 9222 fitted, cut around the template, slotted in and hook up in no time. Same with the zig unit and 12v socket. :D

And an angry bird toy Rasp:

More to come in the next few days :ILU:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great work mate! Have you hooked up electrics etc yet? What split charge relay did you go for?

Also, those units look great for finishing off yourself, where did you get them and idea of cost?

Keep up the good work! T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorting out the external hook-up as we speak and already have all the 12v stuff working, running water etc. Got a cheap zig unit of eBay so no split charge needed this sorts it all out for me (I hope). Can't complain about the units, got them flat pack and square so the rear needed cutting to fit snug against the side wall of the van, easy job tbh. Got them off eBay as well cheapest by a clear mile, I got the bog standard ones to save money and will vinyl them myself which is just £3 per metre 60cm wide. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSPORTER-T4-CAMPERVAN-UNIT-SHAPED-DOOR-AFFORDABLE-BUDGET/140761560997?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=004&category=36798&cmd=ViewItem#ht_1664wt_1185 Contacted him direct and got them a bit cheaper. Hope this helps :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts