VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has just been charged £93.48p PLUS VAT (!!) for 10 litres (kept some for next time) of oil for an oil change.

The oil was from Millers and is available here http://tinyurl.com/86bbrrq at £71.03 for 15 Litres Inc VAT and Inc delivery!

On telephoning to object we are told that's hard luck as they gave a quote and the wife accepted on the basis it was VW recommended oil.

He then goes on to say we could have bought it ourselves and driven around to see if we could find somebody who would have used that oil but they, the 'F' Word garage wouldn't because they give a guarantee (ho, ho, ho), - hence the rip off price (not his words)

They have lost us as customers for ever of course. A complaint is in, the manager went home instead of phoning the wife so all in abeyance until Monday.

This is the umpteenth bad experience in North Devon since going to the main dealer 9 years ago and being met with indifference on selling us a brand newT4 888.

As a result we went to Truro in Cornwall and bought one there a week later.

On a positive note, we went to a garage in Bear St, Barnstaple to have a new lifetime guarantee Stainless back box and pipe connecting forward for a reasonable £120 inc VAT (we thought it good??)

For exactitude it was originally £159 but when the wife rang to confirm it went down to £120 inc - make of that what you will.

Stay on your toes people!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Sounds like a fairly standard price for longlife oil, the clue is in the name, it may cost a bomb, but you don't have to change it so often!

Just paid £96.32+vat for oil (longlife II) in my last service before Xmas, could have run around and collected the oil myself and delivered it to the garage etc, but for the sake of a few £s I let the garage do the work.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Personally is your time running around worth £41.15.

You could have sourced all the filters etc cheaper and supplied them too!

Of course the garage charges more for oil, he has in stock and available there and then, its called business. He could have taken your vehicle in, mail ordered the oil, waited for Mr Courier to deliver, then let you have your van back a few days later.

Did they ask for a deposit when they booked your van in? probably not, but they would have had to order in the parts at there own expense & risk that you cancel etc.

You were given a quote that you accepted, then when you see the price breakdown your not happy.

It's really not worth getting worked up about in the grand scheme of life. you might need the garages help in the future, so maybe they might credit you £40 next time?

Some jerk decided to smash up the rear quarter of my van this week, now I've got to pay to get it repaired, £350 excess, 5 days with no van (self employed). Insurance renewal in 4 weeks so no doubt I'll be screwed there too! but life goes on. I choose not to let it wind me up :cool:

I'm not trying to wind you up, honest! I just see things from a third party point of view T:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally is your time running around worth £41.15.

You could have sourced all the filters etc cheaper and supplied them too!

Of course the garage charges more for oil, he has in stock and available there and then, its called business. He could have taken your vehicle in, mail ordered the oil, waited for Mr Courier to deliver, then let you have your van back a few days later.

Did they ask for a deposit when they booked your van in? probably not, but they would have had to order in the parts at there own expense & risk that you cancel etc.

You were given a quote that you accepted, then when you see the price breakdown your not happy.

It's really not worth getting worked up about in the grand scheme of life. you might need the garages help in the future, so maybe they might credit you £40 next time?

Some jerk decided to smash up the rear quarter of my van this week, now I've got to pay to get it repaired, £350 excess, 5 days with no van (self employed). Insurance renewal in 4 weeks so no doubt I'll be screwed there too! but life goes on. I choose not to let it wind me up :cool:

I'm not trying to wind you up, honest! I just see things from a third party point of view T:
HMmmm see what you're saying BUT I could have had the oil delivered free for less than half the price.

The garage did put us off until the oil had arrived after ordering specifically for us.

However, on reflection after calming down, we are staying with the 'F' Word garage as the man who does the work is very efficient and trustworthy, one of the best in this part of the world. So worth his weight in gold. Thing is the labour was £20 do do the work they just load the money on the oil. Swings and roundabouts and wife has just rung to make friends again as we don;t want to lose a good worker. T:

Chriscaravelle
"litre of lonbglife for my Golf is 13+, but I've only needed 1 service in 30000 miles"

Can you really have that long between services with longlife oil???!

·
Registered
826 Posts
They have lost us as customers for ever of course.
However, on reflection after calming down, we are staying with the 'F' Word garage as the man who does the work is very efficient and trustworthy, one of the best in this part of the world.

As long as you`re sure. I:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.