VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WARNING: VERY IMAGE HEAVY!

Like the title says, I've had the van almost three years (and it's only seen the road a handful of times!) and have yet to start (without lack of trying!) a build thread. I'll start off with photos that I've managed to find and become more in depth as time goes on (Big things planned for this year; injectors, VNT conversion rear ARB...etc.)

The closest I have to a photo from the state it was in when I first got hold of it:

I bought blind and thought I was getting a 1.9TD, and all the documentation said so, turns out that someone had stuck a 1X in at somepoint

Bulkhead removed:

Cab interior complete stripped for clean/dash paint.

Flashbanding:

Floor rust repair:

Insulating:

Carpeting, headlining and flooring:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gonna split these posts up as it was starting to get a tad ridiculous!

TDi Conversion:

Donor; 97 Golf (1z) with 141k on the clock :

All removed!

Van ancilliaries on 1z:

Corrado VR6 clutch:

All ready to go in!:

2.5 throttle pedal in:

Trial fitting the Sprinter intercooler:

Blue clock conversion - before:

After:

PPT side mount exhaust:

Sourced some of those Czech ebay chips

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started to work on a little AV stuff; including a T-line box (packs a punch for a small 6.5 inch sub driver)

Audi A8 seats fitted; makeshift looms created:

Makeshift bases modified (later to be replaced with box steel)

Seats fitted:

More Ikea unit/SMEV combinations!

New boots (courtesy of paulm on here; cheers mate!)

Brake overhaul; before...

...and after:

Suspension and all:

Power windows:

Drop out vent hole - incredibly daunting drilling that!

RCB installed along with split charge kit and mains battery charger:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rock n' roll bed installed and makeshift table for DVLA purposes:

V5 returned - now LEZ not applicable!

Back from the body shop - Ford USA 'Grabber Blue'

Curtains installed:

Done for now. Any updates and I'll add them here if I remember!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hmm, not sure I trust myself to have a go at that unless I can find a spare ECU for peanuts. Fair play to you for tackling it yourself.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick Q. Has anyone got any ideas on how to clean out the injector ports without removing the head/getting any of the crud to drop into the chamber? Or shall I leave it be?

Even more so has anyone local(ish) got an injector puller I could borrow? Only one of them was willing to play ball with the 15 mm spanner...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The overglorified 'Shake Weight' arrived in the post, so the old injectors that I suspect are responsible for my diesel knock have been ripped out:

Turns out that the actual injectors aren't as bad as I expected them to be, but those nozzles are absoluely caked in soot...

Managed to get Rake's massive hole injectors in, but I've a feeling that they'll have to come out soon (as soon as the turbo conversion's done); There appeared to be a lot of resistance, so I'm assuming the ports could do with a good clean.

The only downside to the whole operation though - looks like I'll be heading back to the body shop sooner that I would have liked.

Time to start saving those pennies!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With no rain, today I managed to clear all this from my engine:

Turns out that if you disconnect and remove the turbo downpipe first, it is possible to remove the turbo and manifolds without having to remove any bolts from underneath the van. Kept all the skin on my hands as well!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow ! ...... that's a hell of a lot of work.
Amazing accomplishment T:

Wish I could tinker with engines like that.

Interesting read.

TURK
All looking good matey..T:
Cheers guys.

Turk, to be honest all this is nothing compared to the time and effort you've put into the quad headlamp project. I've been keeping an eye since early on and I'm absolutely amazed. I'd swap in a heartbeat.

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got round to attempting to port the manifold myself (as my mate who was going to do it was busy with a track car or some nonsense - bloody CGTI lot!I:I:)

[

A word of warning for anyone wishing to do this - gloves and goggles are a must. Oh; and definitely do not do it inside!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,555 Posts
Cheers guys.

Turk, to be honest all this is nothing compared to the time and effort you've put into the quad headlamp project. I've been keeping an eye since early on and I'm absolutely amazed. I'd swap in a heartbeat.

Keep up the great work!

Many thanks for those kind words mate, very much appreciated T:

The quad headlight project has been a bit of a saga, but to manufacture a product from scratch was always going to be difficult.

We have some amazing talent on this forum, and together I think we could design a VW T4 that would put VW to shame ! :D

Eagerly awaiting your next upgrades, always makes for a good read, keep up the most excellent work A:

TURK

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of you thinking about doing the EGR blank; make sure you get a decent (thick) blanking plate. I can count the number of times on one hand the amount of times I had used the van since I installed my last one and this is what happened!

1 - 20 of 521 Posts