VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 564 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
It's been a bit quiet in here while I confuse myself with clusters and ECUs.

That being said, two mods on the go isn't nearly enough so I dragged these out of the shed and I'll be sending them off to Bigg Red (I guess this is a before photo):

Question is, what colour to go for - it HAS to be ridiculous and a complete mismatch.

Might start on the Eberspacher as well...

Discussion starter · #45 ·
So with the calipers off being refurbished (7-10 days my...) I thought I'd get to the bottom of this timing issue.

Turns out that there was a whole lot of tooth jumping in the fuel pump sprocket between the oil pump locking up the intermediate shaft and the nut on the fuel pump pulley coming lose. The crank timing with respect to that of the cam seems to be fine; might have to whip off the head to make double sure. The bad news? Timing belt number three in under a year. Probably a good thing given that on attempt to refit the belt, the crank timing kept moving slightly with respect to everything else. Also, there was a bit of damage done to the belt previously.

I'll even do the job properly this time, removing the top (camshaft) pulley.

Third time lucky?

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Day one of present to myself season.

Was expecting my calipers today, but for some reason interlink failed to load them on the van. No bother seeing as my pulley lock tool and these turned up today:

I knew they were thick, but did not expect them to be this thick:

Anyhow, the pads have the thickness sensor on them; diet this lead straight to the fusebox? Yet another retrofit job on my hands.

You doing the entire brake upgrade yourself Mr L ?

Any chance of a concise 'How To' ........ as I'm hoping to tackle this myself at some point.

Shame you couldn't get the callipers done in yellow, they would of looked like the Brenbo's you get on Porsches :(
What confuses me is, there's another post on this forum with a guy who's just got his callipers done in yellow ! :*

Anyhow, great choice on the 'Black Diamonds' I think. As I spent quiet a while researching various options for brake upgrade, those are the one I found to be the best. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread mate to see how you get on.

Judging by the quality and attention to detail of your previous jobs, this on is sure to go well, as well T: no doubt I'll learn a great deal from it.

TURK

Discussion starter · #48 · (Edited)
You doing the entire brake upgrade yourself Mr L ?

Any chance of a concise 'How To' ........ as I'm hoping to tackle this myself at some point.

Shame you couldn't get the calipers done in yellow, they would of looked like the Brenbo's you get on Porsches :(
What confuses me is, there's another post on this forum with a guy who's just got his callipers done in yellow ! :*

Anyhow, great choice on the 'Black Diamonds' I think. As I spent quiet a while researching various options for brake upgrade, those are the one I found to be the best. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread mate to see how you get on.

Judging by the quality and attention to detail of your previous jobs, this on is sure to go well, as well T: no doubt I'll learn a great deal from it.

TURK
How odd. The afternoon they received them, I got a phone call to tell me that they had suspended the yellow finish due to bad feedback and were investigating it with their paint supplier. I guess I'll have to save that for the next set that I do!

Black diamond seem to be best bang for buck 'performance' pad and disc set. For a moment I was looking at some Tarox stuff. There's a reason a lot of sites mark the stuff at £POA!

The other thing that I learned was that 'Motorsport World' up in Lanarkshire appears to be no longer trading. Which is a shame as they were always good when I'd used them before. On the flip side, they (someone) have my credit card number...

I'll try and take as many photos as possible and post something up ASAP. Got a list as long as my arm though with jobs to do before the brakes come off though!

EDIT - Calipers turned up today. The green is outrageous!

Discussion starter · #49 · (Edited)
Unfortunately with it being wet underfoot, I didn't get a chance to start on the brakes or the new timing belt.

I did however get a chance to test fit this:

Me being me, decided to take the wiring harness apart when my stalk stopped working. Turns out that I just had to 'enable' it by changing the soft coding. That aside, we now have this:

Had a few teething issues, but hopefully I'll get a chance to have a proper play with it.

Discussion starter · #50 · (Edited)
I wasn't sure that I had enough jobs on the go with the ECU, MFA, brakes, timing and rewiring, so I thought I'd make a start on the multi function steering wheel. First things first, remove the explosive device from the airbag. I'm hoping that this will allow forthe extra space for the end of the steering column.

Looking at the slip ring, the first issue I can see are the barbs and tabs.

Now im hoping that the bottom two will sit around the stalks (not taking the surround into account just yet), but the top one will definitely have to go. This 6 pin connector to the right fouls the wiper stalk. Need to figure out what that this does. If it's for ESP, it's as good as gone.

The other thing I've noticed is that if I have a hope in hell of using this indicator cancelling tab, it will have to be trimmed. It is a tad too close to the inside edge of the indicator stalk for my liking.

This could be a right pain.

Discussion starter · #51 · (Edited)
Looks like my idea was totally flawed. the slip ring and stalk ports don't line up in the configuration that I wanted them.

Back to the drawing board which will require spacing, and a new tab for cancelling the indicators - unless I can find a T4 ESP slip ring to modify (rare as hen's teeth).

Discussion starter · #52 ·
I remember reading somewhere on here that the mk3 slip ring fits the t4 as far as cancelling and what not is concerned, so I have one on order. Given that the MFSW slip contains just a long coiled ribbon cable I'm thinking maybe the two can be combined somehow:

Now, the section on the right contains the steering angle sensor parts, and isn't required in this case, so I'm thinking that I can dump this and cut around what I do need from the other face. What I wonder is what modification is required within the port to get the indicator cancel ring to fit (assuming it's a separate piece like on the mk4 slip ring), given that the port is smaller.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Given that I'm incapable of doing one job at a time, now would be a great time to start on those brakes, to add to the steering wheel, MFA, ECU (remeber that!).

Anyhow, I'll step through the best I can as I know a few people are about to undertake this mod.

First and foremost, take the wheel off to expose the old weedy brake setup that you're replacing:

Remove the caliper from the carrier, by undoing the two 13mm bolts that thread into the slider pins. Prise the caliper off,remove the old pads and undo the carrier bolts using a 22mm socket (I think). You'll need some kind of torque multiplier (breaker bar, bit of scaff pole...etc.) if the carriers haven't moved for a while. Chuck this to the side and undo the Allen bolt that holds the disc to the hub with a 6mm bit.

At this point make sure you're drill is fully charged (or plugged in) and arm it with your 17mm HSS bit. Drill out both the carrier holes and then change over to a 18mm bit and repeat. If the bit keeps locking up while drilling ease up in the pressure and let the drill create a bit of a countersink. The go at it hammer and tongs.

At this point I chose to test fit the new carrier as I'm known for being a bit wayward with a drill:

It fits!

You can now remove the the carrier and fit the new massive disc:

Refit the carrier. If you didn't bother test fitting, the new bolts require a 27mm socket/spanner. If you've removed the oil cooler on a 1.9, you'll have one of these lying about somewhere.

If you're anything like me, you'll have run out of light at this point and will have to carry on ASAP...

Discussion starter · #54 · (Edited)
Turns out that this neat bit is a lot simpler. Here goes.

At this point grab your newly refurbished caliper and refit the bracketry. I appear to be missing a bolt so can't do the other side until the shops reopen. You might be best creating a new connecting line that goes to the flexi hose. Think I may have made this one a tad too short. Time will tell.

At this point you can fit the pads. Clip the inside one in (it's a pain and requires a fair amount of force). The outside one also goes in at this point and is secured by the spring clip painted in a garish color of course. I might nee a new one as this seems to be a tad tight (and chipped the caliper paint!).

The caliper can now be refitted to the carrier. Tighten up the slider pins with a 7mm Allen wrench and then connect the flexi hose to the hard line on the caliper.

Re: Only (almost) 3 years later

Great build this is going to be a unique van when your finished. Good choice of colour as well are the brakes off of an Audi A4 B7? They look very similar to the ones on my wife's car. Those clocks will go well once youv got them fitted up. ?

41 - 60 of 564 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.