VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

601 - 620 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Tires are 255/45/18 103's. So they should be around 875 kg each but not sure about the rims T:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ just told you the rims are 700Kg.

Forget the tyres, when the rims let go the tyres will be on the same journey; regardless of load rating :eek::eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been curious about load ratings on Audi/VW wheels. Has anyone who's using wheels from different vehicles had any issues with those wheels on their T4? You'd think Audi/VW would be forced to share any sort of load rating for consumer safety purposes. It definitely isn't some sort of trade or manufacturing secret.

Regardless, thinking of putting these S-line 18x8" wheels on my T4 but worried a 255/45r18 will rub on the tie rod a bit. Maybe paint them dark grey. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I've been curious about load ratings on Audi/VW wheels. Has anyone who's using wheels from different vehicles had any issues with those wheels on their T4? You'd think Audi/VW would be forced to share any sort of load rating for consumer safety purposes. It definitely isn't some sort of trade or manufacturing secret.

Regardless, thinking of putting these S-line 18x8" wheels on my T4 but worried a 255/45r18 will rub on the tie rod a bit. Maybe paint them dark grey. Any suggestions?
OK curious or not, the answer is simple. You own an Audi, go to your Main Dealer and order a wheel for your car; it arrives you fit is job done. That wheel is correct and safe for your vehicle, has been built to spec, tested and certified; and as a consumer your ar$3 is covered.

You go off piste it's down to you. I have owned T4's now for some 26 years and have yet to see one leave an Audi production line; and be badged as such. It IS commercially sensitive information (or as you put it a manufacturing secret), why on earth should it not be. To put it politely it's none of your business, no more than it is mine ;)

If you want help the part number would be a good idea. But as you say "regardless" of that I will make a guess at something like 8EO 601 025 (AK) that is an 8 x 18 wheel similar to your image. If different post the number I am sure someone here will know.

Also remember that 'style' of wheel is loved by many, especially the Chinese; who make very good replicas out of a material similar in strength to prawn crackers :eek:

Load rating on my example is 635Kg, more than 120Kg too light (per wheel) for my personal T4, and I would be considered 'totally irresponsible' if I fitted it to mine. It may be quite suitable for your personal application though.

Here in the UK, I would have to declare that 'modification' to my insurance company. If I hoodwinked them about the spec and was involved in an accident; they would run a mile. Maybe for you it's completely different, and you can indeed carry on 'regardless'.

Hope some of that info may be of help to you T:T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK curious or not, the answer is simple. You own an Audi, go to your Main Dealer and order a wheel for your car; it arrives you fit is job done. That wheel is correct and safe for your vehicle, has been built to spec, tested and certified; and as a consumer your ar$3 is covered.

You go off piste it's down to you. I have owned T4's now for some 26 years and have yet to see one leave an Audi production line; and be badged as such. It IS commercially sensitive information (or as you put it a manufacturing secret), why on earth should it not be. To put it politely it's none of your business, no more than it is mine ;)

If you want help the part number would be a good idea. But as you say "regardless" of that I will make a guess at something like 8EO 601 025 (AK) that is an 8 x 18 wheel similar to your image. If different post the number I am sure someone here will know.

Also remember that 'style' of wheel is loved by many, especially the Chinese; who make very good replicas out of a material similar in strength to prawn crackers :eek:

Load rating on my example is 635Kg, more than 120Kg too light (per wheel) for my personal T4, and I would be considered 'totally irresponsible' if I fitted it to mine. It may be quite suitable for your personal application though.

Here in the UK, I would have to declare that 'modification' to my insurance company. If I hoodwinked them about the spec and was involved in an accident; they would run a mile. Maybe for you it's completely different, and you can indeed carry on 'regardless'.

Hope some of that info may be of help to you T:T:
Thanks Scruffy, helpful yes. Speculating on their sensitive information is hardly an answer though. However, it's good reasoning and errors on the side of caution (despite the statement describing your location). :)

I'd imagine if Audi/VW had concern about wheels used on "incorrect" vehicles, it would be important to them to reveal such safety information since all Audi/VW wheels are virtually interchangeable. Not to mention, each wheel isn't stamped to correlate with a particular model aside from the sales brochure. We all know how VW has lied in their sales brochures...

So, question stands with revision, has anyone had a wheel failure when using a wheel that isn't advertised in the T4 sales brochure (and not because you curbed your car)?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Thanks Scruffy, helpful yes. Speculating on their sensitive information is hardly an answer though. However, it's good reasoning and errors on the side of caution (despite the statement describing your location). :)

I'd imagine if Audi/VW had concern about wheels used on "incorrect" vehicles, it would be important to them to reveal such safety information since all Audi/VW wheels are virtually interchangeable. Not to mention, each wheel isn't stamped to correlate with a particular model aside from the sales brochure. We all know how VW has lied in their sales brochures...

So, question stands with revision, has anyone had a wheel failure when using a wheel that isn't advertised in the T4 sales brochure (and not because you curbed your car)?
It's not speculation it's FACT; if you have ever been an OEM manufacturer, or worked for one you would know that ................. I have.

I gave you my best guess answer from the LIMITED info provided by you. You still have not provided a part number for anyone to check and or verify, if we can; so what do you expect? :confused::confused::confused:

As I said the right wheels used on the right vehicle give no concern for worry to VW, Audi or whoever. Each wheel is stamped with a part number and that correlates to the correct vehicle .................. do you think main dealer parts departments just take a wild guess, cross fingers, and hope for the best when supplying parts!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not speculation it's FACT; if you have ever been an OEM manufacturer, or worked for one you would know that ................. I have.

I gave you my best guess answer from the LIMITED info provided by you. You still have not provided a part number for anyone to check and or verify, if we can; so what do you expect? :confused::confused::confused:

As I said the right wheels used on the right vehicle give no concern for worry to VW, Audi or whoever. Each wheel is stamped with a part number and that correlates to the correct vehicle .................. do you think main dealer parts departments just take a wild guess, cross fingers, and hope for the best when supplying parts!
Hopefully you're not taking any portion of conversation out of context, my participation is strictly for learning and challenging opinion in a respectful way.

Part number: 8eo601025ak Belongs to an A4, S-line. I'm not questioning what the wheel was placed on originally, its legitimacy or authentication. I'm curious about the ACTUAL load rating and, generally speaking, if anyone has had issues with wheels used on T4's not supplied on T4's.

My logic is this: just because VW puts certain wheels on certain cars has little correlation to the wheel's load capability. Sure, a wheel put on an A4 meets the load rating of an A4 (we agree on that) and probably designed for heavier loads (this is where we may differ). Since somehow revealing load information isn't in the interest of Audi/VW or the consumer then every conversation around specifics is speculation - unless actual information is revealed.

I'm simply asking for anecdotal information from those using wheels from different vehicles. My assumption is you stick with OE wheels/parts, which is great, but it's just an assumption and I'm open to hearing such experience. This thread is obviously about using wheels not intended to be used on T4's; probably enough anecdotal information that there really aren't many issues with doing so.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Part number: 8eo601025ak Belongs to an A4, S-line. I'm not questioning what the wheel was placed on originally, its legitimacy or authentication. I'm curious about the ACTUAL load rating.
That is the wheel number I quoted in my example. I don't give a flying duck what it belongs to; if you are now confirming that is what you have the ACTUAL answer AS I HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU IS 635KG T:T:

这是我引用的车轮号码,如果你现在确认这是你有什么答案,因为我已经告诉你635KG。

C'est le numéro de roue que j'ai cité, si vous confirmez maintenant, c'est ce que vous avez la réponse, comme je l'ai déjà dit 635KG.

To je číslo kola, které jsem citoval, pokud nyní potvrzujete, že je to, co máte, odpověď je tak, jak jsem již řekl, že jste 635kg.

Ese es el número de la rueda que cité, si ahora está confirmando que es lo que tiene la respuesta es como ya he dicho 635KG.

นั่นคือหมายเลขล้อที่ฉันยกมาถ้าคุณกำลังยืนยันว่าเป็นสิ่งที่คุณมีคำตอบอยู่ในขณะที่ฉันเคยบอกคุณแล้วว่า 635KG

Iyon ay ang wheel number ko naka-quote, kung ngayon kinukumpirma mo na ay kung ano ang mayroon kang ang sagot ay BILANG KO NA SINABI MO 635KG.

Det er det hjulnummer, jeg citerede, hvis du nu bekræfter det, er det du har svaret, som jeg allerede har fortalt dig 635KG.

Αυτός είναι ο αριθμός τροχού που ανέφερα, αν τώρα επιβεβαιώνετε ότι είναι αυτό που έχετε την απάντηση είναι όπως σας έχω ήδη πει 635KG.

Das ist die Radnummer, die ich zitiert habe, wenn du jetzt bestätigst, dass das ist, was du die Antwort hast, ist, dass ich BREIT IHNEN 635KG HABE

Just on the 'off chance' English is not your primary language ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is the wheel number I quoted in my example. I don't give a flying duck what it belongs to; if you are now confirming that is what you have the ACTUAL answer AS I HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU IS 635KG T:T:

这是我引用的车轮号码,如果你现在确认这是你有什么答案,因为我已经告诉你635KG。

C'est le numéro de roue que j'ai cité, si vous confirmez maintenant, c'est ce que vous avez la réponse, comme je l'ai déjà dit 635KG.

To je číslo kola, které jsem citoval, pokud nyní potvrzujete, že je to, co máte, odpověď je tak, jak jsem již řekl, že jste 635kg.

Ese es el número de la rueda que cité, si ahora está confirmando que es lo que tiene la respuesta es como ya he dicho 635KG.

นั่นคือหมายเลขล้อที่ฉันยกมาถ้าคุณกำลังยืนยันว่าเป็นสิ่งที่คุณมีคำตอบอยู่ในขณะที่ฉันเคยบอกคุณแล้วว่า 635KG

Iyon ay ang wheel number ko naka-quote, kung ngayon kinukumpirma mo na ay kung ano ang mayroon kang ang sagot ay BILANG KO NA SINABI MO 635KG.

Det er det hjulnummer, jeg citerede, hvis du nu bekræfter det, er det du har svaret, som jeg allerede har fortalt dig 635KG.

Αυτός είναι ο αριθμός τροχού που ανέφερα, αν τώρα επιβεβαιώνετε ότι είναι αυτό που έχετε την απάντηση είναι όπως σας έχω ήδη πει 635KG.

Das ist die Radnummer, die ich zitiert habe, wenn du jetzt bestätigst, dass das ist, was du die Antwort hast, ist, dass ich BREIT IHNEN 635KG HABE

Just on the 'off chance' English is not your primary language ;)
Cool! Nice job being condescending and inconsiderate at the same time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went down this road of polite questioning a couple months ago...
The answer I got here was no, no one has ever seen a total failure of a wheel on their T4 because it was improperly load rated.
Just one person commented that they'd seen a "cracked wheel".
Which, I've seen stock alloy wheels on the car they were delivered on, do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went down this road of polite questioning a couple months ago...
The answer I got here was no, no one has ever seen a total failure of a wheel on their T4 because it was improperly load rated.
Just one person commented that they'd seen a "cracked wheel".
Which, I've seen stock alloy wheels on the car they were delivered on, do that.
Thanks USA - that was very helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everyone - I've just bought some Audi wheels and am sussing them out for my T4. They are these:

They are the 7.5Jx17 ET45

Does anyone have any suggestions for the following:

1. What bolts to use for mounting to a T4 (2001 "B" version Caravelle TDI)

2. What tires and sizes work best for a T4 with that sized wheel?

Thanks in advance! (also any photos of these on a T4?)

601 - 620 of 651 Posts