VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

621 - 640 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm just thinking that the 225/50/17s are the way to go on these?
Does anyone have any preferred tyres they've used and enjoyed?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hello everyone - I've just bought some Audi wheels and am sussing them out for my T4. They are these:

They are the 7.5Jx17 ET45

Does anyone have any suggestions for the following:

1. What bolts to use for mounting to a T4 (2001 "B" version Caravelle TDI)

2. What tires and sizes work best for a T4 with that sized wheel?

Thanks in advance! (also any photos of these on a T4?)
Wheels are not sufficiently load rated to use on a Caravelle ................... I would not be enjoying them or any tyres I put on them :*

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everyone - I've just bought some Audi wheels and am sussing them out for my T4. They are these:

They are the 7.5Jx17 ET45

Does anyone have any suggestions for the following:

1. What bolts to use for mounting to a T4 (2001 "B" version Caravelle TDI)

2. What tires and sizes work best for a T4 with that sized wheel?

Thanks in advance! (also any photos of these on a T4?)
Nice wheels, you'll love them as many others running them do.
You might need to use an earlier T4 wheel bolt as some latter ones I've seen have a built in washer that fouls inside the lug bolt hole.
But any M14, conical seat bolts that are the proper length should work.

Tires from 225-50-17 to 255-35-17 can be made to work.
I personally run 235-45-17's on my winter A8 wheels and 235-45-18 on my summer A8 wheels.
A good tire shop should be able to sort you out.

Good luck.
Post up some pics when you get them on!

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Ok, I'll play the antagonist...

WHY do those who basically don't believe any Audi wheel is properly load rated, hang out in this thread?!
I do better than believe I know, I pass on that knowledge; you can do what you want with the information.

We were not talking about any Audi wheel, we were specifically talking about this one.

Oh and there are no early and late T4 wheels bolts, always been 701 601 139 B; since 1991 T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do better than believe I know, I pass on that knowledge; you can do what you want with the information.

We were not talking about any Audi wheel, we were specifically talking about this one.

Oh and there are no early and late T4 wheels bolts, always been 701 601 139 B; since 1991 T:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I've had both of my A8 wheels "questioned" by other posters here.
Over and over in this thread, wheels are questioned for their integrity.
I would venture several dozen T4 owners around the globe are running that specific A4 wheel.
If they've had any problem, they should be the ones chiming in!

Elsewhere in the wheel and tire forum this proper load rating was discussed and no one has ever seen a total failure of an improperly load rated wheel.

Heck the worst pot hole I ever hit (which destroyed the tire), was on a split A4 5 spoke wheel.
Took it in for a new tire and thought I'd need a new wheel, wheel spun perfect.

I stand by my comment, I'm unsure why people who think/ "know" Audi wheels are unsafe to run, hang out in this thread...

As far as the bolts, I figured the UK was the same as here.
Numerous late model VR6 vans I've seen here, came with a lug bolt that had a built in washer.
When I tried using those on my A8 Flat Fives, they didn't work, had to use the earlier, washer-less bolts.

·
Bercow fan club
10,224 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I've had both of my A8 wheels "questioned" by other posters here.
I would venture several dozen T4 owners around the globe are running that specific A4 wheel.

Elsewhere in the wheel and tire forum this proper load rating was discussed and no one has ever seen a total failure of an improperly load rated wheel.

Heck the worst pot hole I ever hit (which destroyed the tire), was on a split A4 5 spoke wheel.

I stand by my comment, I'm unsure why people who think/ "know" Audi wheels are unsafe to run, hang out in this thread...

Numerous late model VR6 vans I've seen here, came with a lug bolt that had a built in washer.
When I tried using those on my A8 Flat Fives, they didn't work, had to use the earlier, washer-less bolts.
You obviously can do as you please but to recommend wheels that are not specifically up to the job has you enjoying jerk status.

It's a good job that those who "know" what they're talking about "hang out" in this thread because if they didn't you'd have idiots recommending all manner of shite...

·
Registered
6,154 Posts

I'm not implying you are a jerk, I don't know who you are or what you do, no more than you know that about me.

I think playing 'fast and loose' for the sake of vanity, as so many would like to do, often needs to be questioned. I think you have in the past posted images of your T4 with both sets of wheels, the flat fives as you call them are not to be questioned.

The big problem comes when people think any old Audi wheel will do; or worse still, they unknowingly purchase 'lookie likies' and then they do collapse. I am sure there are more than dozens running the same or alternative Audi wheels, but load rating recommendations are there for a reason; whatever people may think.

The front end of heavier T4's carries a lot of weight, you then add to the driver, one or even two passengers, and maybe an additional battery under the bonnet; the forces on those wheels can be huge. I realise a lot of assumptions may be worst case scenario, but who wants to be involved in one of those. We also have roundabouts here, again the wheels are put under additional stress. You could go through life trouble free, then again you may not.

Look at all the T4's for sale in Germany for example, very very few of them are full of DIY camper, and a similarly small amount with wheels other than factory. I don't think it is because Germans are boring, but more that legislation almost outlaws such risk (compromise if you like) taking.

I hang out in the whole forum, in the hope my extensive knowledge within the motor industry, and over 26 years experience of owning and running T4's (not to mention a huge library of related information) may be of help to others. I also enjoying seeing what others are doing, I don't have all the answers, but am lucky I can get the correct ones .................. why do you hang out here???

As I always say, if the knowledge helps then great, if people chose to ignore it; it's not a problem for me either.

Finally in relation to the wheel bolts, it is true there are a couple of variations, mainly for wheels we do not see here. I have never tried fitting Audi wheels (that may come as no surprise to you), but I imagine mostly being 'car based' it is probable that bolts with a smaller 17mm head may be required; to give clearance, especially for an alloy wheel impact socket (even a thin wall one). A quality bolt with the correct radius seat, and thread length of course, should not compromise the wheel security.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice wheels, you'll love them as many others running them do.
You might need to use an earlier T4 wheel bolt as some latter ones I've seen have a built in washer that fouls inside the lug bolt hole.
But any M14, conical seat bolts that are the proper length should work.

Tires from 225-50-17 to 255-35-17 can be made to work.
I personally run 235-45-17's on my winter A8 wheels and 235-45-18 on my summer A8 wheels.
A good tire shop should be able to sort you out.

Good luck.
Post up some pics when you get them on!
Thanks for the advice. The wheels have 235/45/17 Michelin Primacy Tires on them, but are very dated (2003 date stamp) so I won't be using them except to drive to the tire shop. I was planning on the 225/50/17 wheels as they are a bit closer to the diameter that should make the speedo spin true. Any recommendations on actual van load rated tyres for these would be great.

Regarding the wheel load rating
, these wheels are rated to 690kg each. According to another post in this forum: Caravelle SWB GVWR is 2710kg. 4x 690kg = 2760kg > 2710kg.

I know that it is true that the front is heavier etc, but it is a calculated risk. I won't be overloading my van, especially with these wheels, but mostly driving it from A to B empty, usually having the rear seats out unless needed. Thanks to all for the input, it's greatly appreciated and what makes these forums so useful!

Regarding the bolts, I'm not 100% sure that the radius on the rounded head of the T4 bolts is the correct one for the Audi wheels. I'll post what I can find....

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Regarding the wheel load rating[/B], these wheels are rated to 690kg each. According to another post in this forum: Caravelle SWB GVWR is 2710kg. 4x 690kg = 2760kg > 2710kg.
As long as your insurance company are happy to underwrite the risk too, when you inform them.

You state you know the load rating is a division of the heaviest axle; not a division of the vehicle weight. So if the front is 1500Kg max for example you are looking for wheels of 750Kg or above. Standard VW steel wheels are rated at 810Kg (heavy duty steels @ 900Kg) for a reason, but like so many others; you obviously know better than the manufacturers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As long as your insurance company are happy to underwrite the risk too, when you inform them.

You state you know the load rating is a division of the heaviest axle; not a division of the vehicle weight. So if the front is 1500Kg max for example you are looking for wheels of 750Kg or above. Standard VW steel wheels are rated at 810Kg (heavy duty steels @ 900Kg) for a reason, but like so many others; you obviously know better than the manufacturers.
For the record you are absolutely correct, I noticed it when I had a look in the driver's door jam for axle load rating. The front axle load for the TDI is 1510kg.

That means that the front wheels need to be rated for 755kg, and thus the 690kg rating for the Fundo HA2 4F0 601 025K Audi 17" wheels is not enough.

Anyone have an Audi that they need some wheels for?? ;-)

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
For the record you are absolutely correct, I noticed it when I had a look in the driver's door jam for axle load rating. The front axle load for the TDI is 1510kg.

That means that the front wheels need to be rated for 755kg, and thus the 690kg rating for the Fundo HA2 4F0 601 025K Audi 17" wheels is not enough.

Anyone have an Audi that they need some wheels for?? ;-)
I don't want to be known as the harbinger of doom, but just to make sure people are fully aware of the choices they make. I have enjoyed 26+ years of T4 ownership, and wish everyone well in theirs T:T:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm going to add my observation to this very matter...

I've just seen a T4 advertised with what looks like a 18" or 19" VW alloy wheels with low profile tyres (probably from a Golf R32 or similar, thin spoke design, very common to see on pimped T4s). Caravelle three seater and a table fixed to the floor at the back, otherwise an empty "day camper".

I checked its MOT history.

Nearly every year there're advisories (on different wheels) such as:

• Inner road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a)
  • Tyre worn close to the legal limit on limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Tyre starting to split inner sidewall (no code given)
It makes me wonder if such set of low profile tyre and unloaded wheel contribute to such advisories. Something to consider, perhaps? But then this is just one observation. We see loads of T4s, T5s on "big wheels, thin tyres" on UK roads. So it's really down to the owner, isn't it.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I'm going to add my observation to this very matter...

I've just seen a T4 advertised with what looks like a 18" or 19" VW alloy wheels with low profile tyres (probably from a Golf R32 or similar, thin spoke design, very common to see on pimped T4s). Caravelle three seater and a table fixed to the floor at the back, otherwise an empty "day camper".

I checked its MOT history.

Nearly every year there're advisories (on different wheels) such as:

• Inner road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a)
  • Tyre worn close to the legal limit on limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Tyre starting to split inner sidewall (no code given)
It makes me wonder if such set of low profile tyre and unloaded wheel contribute to such advisories. Something to consider, perhaps? But then this is just one observation. We see loads of T4s, T5s on "big wheels, thin tyres" on UK roads. So it's really down to the owner, isn't it.

Happy motoring!
Yup, the problem is the MOT is just a 45minute snap shot of the whole year.

Many people swap out unsuitable wheels, headlights, number plates etc; then pop them straight back on / in after the test.

Unlike the good old days too when you (read me too), could have a good 'poke around'; today it's largely observational.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just to stir the argument a bit more ...

I wonder what the factor of safety is on the stated rated load? My guess is 1.5 to 2, , but it could be higher, just to stop any hassle coming back to bite the manufacturers.

This is what happens with Safe working load markings.

Just stirring, I mean, saying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just for the sake of asking. Does anyone know the load rating for the Audi wheel 8P0601025E ??

Or better yet, does anyone happen to have a list of the Audi wheels which do have a high enough load rating for the T4?

Thanks!!!

Jason
2001 Caravelle TDI

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Just to stir the argument a bit more ...

I wonder what the factor of safety is on the stated rated load? My guess is 1.5 to 2, , but it could be higher, just to stop any hassle coming back to bite the manufacturers.

This is what happens with Safe working load markings.

Just stirring, I mean, saying.
If you are talking 1.5 to 2.0 times safety factor, that just WON'T be the case. A %age yes.

Just as an example and moving on to steels for a change (and let's face it steel is actually an alloy anyway). VW quote just 750Kg for 16" T4 steel wheels (no longer available now anyway), but TECHNICALLY I need to be running 755Kg or better (half my 1510Kg front axle MAX) ....................... tell me about that one then :*:*:*

Strange really as standard 15" steels are rated at 800Kg, and the heavy duty 15" steels at 900Kg :confused:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Just for the sake of asking. Does anyone know the load rating for the Audi wheel 8P0601025E ??

Or better yet, does anyone happen to have a list of the Audi wheels which do have a high enough load rating for the T4?

Thanks!!!

Jason
2001 Caravelle TDI
They are A3 wheels I believe just a 600Kg load rating.

Audi don't make a CAR heavy enough, or equal to the heavier T4's. Maybe some from an A7 or similar would be up there, but you can bet the PCD will be different; to account for the extra weight (just like the T5 is for example) ;)

621 - 640 of 651 Posts