VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I originally joined in 2011, and it's taken me that long to actually find one that I found thoroughly likeable, and therefore purchased it, to be collected on the 1st July 2020.
That private reg as shown is not mine, and is not applicable to it any longer btw.

I think the incredible mot history helped clinch the deal. Not a single fail, or indeed an advisory since records began back in 2006. :eek:
Is that a record for browsing to purchase I wonder? 馃槉 7b928dd2dbcf49b188de1f8e12a9c750.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
July 1999 T reg., 2.5 with air con too! .72,000 miles.
Paint's a bit dull, and the side stripes are a bit tired, so that'll keep me busy

Full of Cr*p....
I knew an MOT station like that 30 years ago.
I got a full MOT pass on a LandRover 109 S11a that I was fitting a 3.2 litre Ford V6 engine into.
Vehicle was in mates garage, no front bodywork, no front axle, no brake system, etc, etc.
Just told my "mates" at the garage, I'd bring it up to them for the brakes checking once I'd gone from 80 to 265 BHP.
Got my bit of paper so we could do road testing BEFORE even fitting the front wings, etc.
Tested "officially" about 3 months later (and yeah, of course it passed....I'd done most of the work!)

NEVER trust ANY MOT paper work that does not list ANY "problems".....especially on a van that is from 17 to 26 years old.
Inspect underneath yourself.
Even as "new" as 2006.....that doesn't mean the van is that age (it can't be....they stopped making in 2003).

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. If all it neads is a polish and a couple of stripes, you have done well.
Well it will be polished apparently, but guarantee not to my standards.
Going to have to source some of those blue and gold stripes first, and buf, polish and wax one panel at a time, heating up and peeling off the old ones as i go efd189bf947d4d7086fddc80b9d00945.jpg e4398af96823441ca7d40a8d62a230f0.jpg 8b02f7b0e10140e3a4d996e099cc7608.jpg Really not fussed on the wooden steering wheel, but hey, that's a minor issue for now, to be sorted later when I can find a suitable leather clad alternative

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate an mot certificate isn't a 100% guarantee of perfection.
Anyway, it's being mot'd again this week, 150 miles further north from whence it came originally, so we'll see if that throws up any problems before I pay for it.

I crawled underneath whilst doing the usual checks, and it all looked pretty fair tbh.

Premium Member
9 years is pretty good going, at least you've found the one you want. If you can't find genuine vinyl stripes, your best bet would be to take the camper to a graphics company and have them print you some that match (y)

Reactions: C.J.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts