VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been searching (long time lurker!) and there's plenty about tailgate v barn doors but I couldn't find anything about using them while a trailer is hooked up.
I'm planning to get a T5 as my main vehicle but will regularly use it to tow a trailer with a car on it - to track days, sprints etc. Tools etc would be in the back of the T5 so it would be easier to access via the rear doors/tailgate.
I appreciate there would be a side door but I plan to have second row seats (there may be 3 or 4 of us) - so would be awkward to access that way.
Usually the trailer would stay hooked up to the van so I wondered if anyone had any advice or feedback on using tailgate and/or barn doors in that situation. Or would I always have to un-hook it to get access?

Many thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tow a motorbike trailer with two Vespa Scooter on it, I have barn door's and can open them with no problem, the door's clear the
tow bar and the jokey wheel T:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a brian James trailer for my rally car my mates van with tail gate won't clear the jockey wheel when up but my barn doors open easily

·
Registered
299 Posts
+1 for barn doors opening with the trailer attached. Had a Doblo many years ago, with asymmetric barn doors - the big one got bashed a fair bit!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have two trailers and borrow two others, and it depends on the hitch. the brian james later ones are set back far enough, but the ivor williams ones are set a tad closer., some of them are longer as well, 'can be cut down'.
Ive found they all clear when the trailer is 'straight-on', and the handle set back, but some are closer than others.

My previous t5 had barn doors, and the burden of it stays with me forever, mainly because of access with a trailer on.

Unless you need forklift access then why on earth would you want doors?. 99% of people arnt honest and they big up, barn doors because they have them, and feel the need to make excuses for it.

Tailgate negatives will out favour that of doors forever!

I have a trailer on 80% of the time, and if i went back to barn doors id slit my wrists i think out of frustration :eek:

col.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback - not quite as clear cut as I thought, but rarely is!
Looks like I might need to take some measurements to see if tailgate would clear my trailer - or try it on a van.
My previous t5 had barn doors, and the burden of it stays with me forever, mainly because of access with a trailer on.
Is that because there's not much room between the open door and the frame of the trailer?
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts