VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the expectation of a new arrival in the family, we recently moved into a bigger house. Luckily this has also included a garage, which means I got myself my own little workshop! :D No more working in the rain!

I decided to start on something small - colour coding the wing mirrors. The plastic on these are a bit warped, so this was seen as a tester session, plus also help to make the van look a bit more pretty :)

I used halfords plastic primer & tornado red spray paint. I've been told their primer is pretty forgiving, so that boded well :)

After checking on them, they looked pretty good, but unfortunately the primer had cracked on one the mirrors :/

I plodded on anyways as its only a tester session - next onto the paint. It gave a decent spread and didn't appear to crack as easily as plasti-kote has done on me in the past.

Let them dry and get some clearcoat on them tomorrow.

Also managed to get the tyres off some merc alloys i got off a friend and start rubbing them down. Gonna refinish them in anthracite - so watch this space :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fitted the mirrors back on to go to work today (can't parallel park without mirrors!) - In the light I could see little parts which weren't 100% covered, but can't expect miracles from one can!

The colour match seemed pretty close to the original colour IMO

Will get another can and some clear coat next weekend, finish them off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another weekend and got some work done :) (on a bit of a roll!). Didn't have a full weekend on it, delivered a fridge freezer to a girl in shorpe, and low and behold, her father was a t4 owner, so had a good ol' natter T:

Decided to clear a little more room in the garage by using the remainder of my black veltrim to line the front cab headlining. Had to remove the original headlining and sanded down the foam to make sure it would fit back on.

The plan is to use a red leather effect vinyl for the struts. Any idea's for covering the sunvisors are welcomed :D

Right, outside work. The van originally was signwritten, and the shadow left has annoyed me since day one. I tried just t-cutting it, but had no luck. But after reading threads on here, i decided to lightly sand it down with a extra fine finishing pad from halfords, and polish it out with some T-cut. The results seem pretty good for about a hours work IMO.

Before

After

You wouldn't believe that was ever signwritten Rasp:

The other side needs rubbing down a bit more, but daylight wasn't on my side

Next weekends work is going to be rubbing down corroded parts, theres quite a lot to be fair. The top of my windscreen seems a bit bubbly, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away with just rubbing it down without taking the screen out - what do people think? :*

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yer, if anyones interested, here's last years project, the interior :ILU:

Bed - Full width RnR bed by Dave Farnes (Worksop), Homemade 6x9 loaded speaker panel

Windows - VW Clear Windows, fitted by Johnny at Mays Garage, Scarborough

Curtains - Veedubtransporters 1st series curtains (single thickness)

Carpet - Black Veltrim from Harrison Trim Supplies

Units - Ikea Faktum Units

Worktop - Budget (£15 squid)

Sink & Cooker - Old Smev unit

Apart from the windows, everything was fitted by me (with occasional help from a few more experienced people lol)

Plan is to fit a split charge kit, alarm & central locking kit, and fit a 16" tv :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well today I was laying in bed feeling sorry for myself - full of man flu, and pulled a sicky. I hate feeling ill, but even worse so, I hate wasting a day and not doing anything.

So after browsing forums all morning and with the sun shining, I thought 'Naff it! I'm gonna get some more work done on van.' So with 4 layers on, hat and a scarf (sweating out the fever!) I got to work!

Now after talking about my plans to rustoleum my roof black in another thread, I felt obliged to give the roof a go at. As you can see, red roofs and sunshine don't go together....

The plan was to rub down as much as I could before I filled in the scratches. It turns out that a finishing pad, some T-cut and a bit of elbow grease can work magic :ILU:

By the end of today, the roof was looking like this....

Not completely finished, but enough to put a smile on my face :D Hopefully at the weekend, should have some good weather so I can finish the remainder.

Oh & if you are wondering why I have gaffer tape on my roof, thats from a failed attempt to fit some roof bars - going to need to fill the hole and fibreglass over it at some point soon. Surprisingly those 2 pieces of gaffer have kept the rain out for well over a year now.....hows about that :cool:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Another weekend and got some work done :) (on a bit of a roll!). Didn't have a full weekend on it, delivered a fridge freezer to a girl in shorpe, and low and behold, her father was a t4 owner, so had a good ol' natter T:

Decided to clear a little more room in the garage by using the remainder of my black veltrim to line the front cab headlining. Had to remove the original headlining and sanded down the foam to make sure it would fit back on.

The plan is to use a red leather effect vinyl for the struts. Any idea's for covering the sunvisors are welcomed :D

Right, outside work. The van originally was signwritten, and the shadow left has annoyed me since day one. I tried just t-cutting it, but had no luck. But after reading threads on here, i decided to lightly sand it down with a extra fine finishing pad from halfords, and polish it out with some T-cut. The results seem pretty good for about a hours work IMO.

Before

After

You wouldn't believe that was ever signwritten Rasp:

The other side needs rubbing down a bit more, but daylight wasn't on my side

Next weekends work is going to be rubbing down corroded parts, theres quite a lot to be fair. The top of my windscreen seems a bit bubbly, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away with just rubbing it down without taking the screen out - what do people think? :*

Good work going on there. I had a blistered windscreen surround. I used a massive amount of masking tape to pull the window rubber away from the metalwork and pull it towards the glass and hold it in place. Loads of tiny bits of rolled up wet n dry. Removed all the rust, most of my finger nails but it worked.
Good luck I:

·
Registered
115 Posts

Fair play! Mine was in the same condition, I thought it would never regain its colour but a few hours with the T Cut worked wonders!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good work going on there. I had a blistered windscreen surround. I used a massive amount of masking tape to pull the window rubber away from the metalwork and pull it towards the glass and hold it in place. Loads of tiny bits of rolled up wet n dry. Removed all the rust, most of my finger nails but it worked.
Good luck I:
Cheers dude!

Hmmm will have to give that trick a go! It doesnt look as bad after giving it a go over with finishing pad, will take a pix this weekend

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a massive update today - was planning to start rubbing down and filling in all the bumps and dings in the van, but guess what - it was raining :*

So did the only thing I could do....fit new lights!

From this:-

to this:-

Also got pretty much all the rubbing down done on the alloys as well, thanks to my abled assistant I:

Got a little bored rubbing the alloys so kinda moved onto the fuel cap

Will wash the alloys this week, and start primering T:

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Good work...Can I just say that Someone suggested a polish called Farecla G3 which is a cutting compound but doesn't use amonia. It's so much easier to use and leaves a wax finish as well. it also comes as G10 which is finer. T cut was always hard work !
I looks like a polishing mop migth have been a good investment...£50 will get you a good cheap one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for the replies lads :) hoping to get first coat of red finished tonight - cab start rubbing down panels tonight as well, finking of starting with 600 then moving to 800, what dya reckon? Too rough?

Gonna get at least 2 coats of red done before I start on the black, dont wanna have to keep remasking up the roof line!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.