VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this could be a can of worms but i want to future proof my TDI and make it last as long as possible and be as reliable as possible. so i am looking for mods that will help with this. Im thinking EGT gauge to monitor exhaust gas temp,
oil pressure gauge,
oil temp guage,
coolant temp
also may use a thicker, better quality engine oil?
and is it worth chucking in some good 2 stroke oil or any other additive ?
etc etc

if any one has fitted these or know a good supplier then let me know, im not after extra performance really but want to really look after the rig as its done over 200k miles

cheers

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Understand your thoughts, but you could fit 300 gauges, and still be unlucky with an unexpected failure of sorts.

Best thing really is just a strict service and maintenance regime, comprising correct regular servicing and frequent visual inspections.

Unfortunately there is not a gauge to monitor what the whole van is doing ...................... well actually I guess there is; but that sits in the drivers seat LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I concur with the guys above - you will just make yourself anxious with all that info! A bit of extra rustproofing might be good? I just did lower internal panel surfaces with Supertrol, prior to insulation and lining. I am also going to Waxoyl the suspension arms soon. Beyond that quality servicing?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,196 Posts
ScanGauge...... look at previous thread......you can monitor most engine things with it.
Best thing is to invest in VCDS (registered at $99) and you can keep a track of any error codes and sort them.

Other thing is.......change the oil and filters regularly.

Bodywork.....just keep up to it best you can!

·
Registered
256 Posts
There was an article in my local paper a while back with some guy whose old diesel Audi had done about 500,000 miles and was still going strong! His advice? Oil and filter change every 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever came sooner.

You want your engine to last forever then spend your money on that instead of on a load of gauges and it is far far more likely to last.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will make some points may be right may be wrong, was hoping someone was thinking on similar lines.

im not after it lasting forever as it wont, but just grabbing your attention

changing oil and filter regular with good quality parts is the best thing you can do i realize that but alot of oil now days is and ive been advised to go thicker as the engine is older. apparently long life oil is not great ?

i dont want loads of gauges but if you can monitor you EGT's then on a long run if they start to creep up from the norm it let's you know something is getting too hot so either ease back or take a break, it should help look after the turbo. amongst other things.

A large intercooler and or extra electric fan should help with cooling also even when the fans dont kick in, i would maybe use the fan when off road and going slow speeds but straining the engine.

oil temp and pressure are obvious and would be use full for similar reasons to the egt but maybe a combo of the egt and factory temp/oil sensor's would be enough?

my main aim is to look after it the best i can and keep it very reliable, and avoid possible problems in the furure.

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
I never follow the longlife intervals and change oil every 15,000 km with a good quality oil. I spend some money keeping the bodywork rustfree by treating with lanolin every other year and have fit Lokari inner fenders to keep the wheel arches rustfree. You might want to look at the Scangauge which I have in the car.
I would not bother fitting gauges inside the car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
When using the car in cold climate, then I would invest in a warm-up system for reducing the time until the engine is up in operating temperature. Of the same reason I would also make sure that the aux. coolant heater works.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When using the car in cold climate, then I would invest in a warm-up system for reducing the time until the engine is up in operating temperature. Of the same reason I would also make sure that the aux. coolant heater works.
any links to such a system ?

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Check out the Eberspächer Hydronic 5 KW parking heater. I have one in the car. You might have a 3 KW already in the car which can be converted to a parking heater.

·
Registered
221 Posts
will make some points may be right may be wrong, was hoping someone was thinking on similar lines.

im not after it lasting forever as it wont, but just grabbing your attention

changing oil and filter regular with good quality parts is the best thing you can do i realize that but alot of oil now days is and ive been advised to go thicker as the engine is older. apparently long life oil is not great ?

i dont want loads of gauges but if you can monitor you EGT's then on a long run if they start to creep up from the norm it let's you know something is getting too hot so either ease back or take a break, it should help look after the turbo. amongst other things.

A large intercooler and or extra electric fan should help with cooling also even when the fans dont kick in, i would maybe use the fan when off road and going slow speeds but straining the engine.

oil temp and pressure are obvious and would be use full for similar reasons to the egt but maybe a combo of the egt and factory temp/oil sensor's would be enough?

my main aim is to look after it the best i can and keep it very reliable, and avoid possible problems in the furure.
i'd just use the oil that VW recommend. it may make sense that thicker oil will be better as the engine wears, but you'll need to split the engine to measure the crank and bearings to see how worn they are to work out whether you're doing more harm than good.

if you want to keep the van off-boost, good for reducing wear and fuel economy, a boost gauge would be better than EGT i'd have thought.

a bigger intercooler will help you get more power, which will shorten the life of your engine...

and i don't know in what situation you'd ever need an extra fan, unless you can prove that it'd shift more air than the stock ones. if your temp gauge stays in the middle then the fans you've got are coping. adding an extra fan is wasting money and introducing more parts on the engine that can fail.

really if you want it to last, change the oil frequently, with VW spec oil, and drive it like you've got a broken right foot. :)
IMO you only need extra gauges if you've got an expensive engine in a race car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
To me the fun gauge is the most important.
I think if you drive worrying about longevity you'll be glad when the miserable cow dies. LOL:
I buy new parts (especially known weak points) when I can afford them & store them until they are needed.
I've just bought a spare fuel pump & will send it for a recon for example.
Even if the van dies a miserable death I'll probably make a profit on those parts as they become rarer.
These vans are an investment & prices will eventually go through the roof. Just look at the price of mk1's these days.
I could have picked one up for £50 in the 80's.
What I'm saying is just enjoy her in the knowledge she will eventually pay you back when the time comes. £££
You can't say that about many vehicles on the road these days. T:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts