VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - so I took my van to get windows installed before Christmas.

I wasnt happy with the sliding door window at all - they had left the silicone around the window frame, cut the horizontal struts pretty badly, and placed the seal behind the internal skin leaving the edge/cut strut on the outside of the seal.

When I started to contemplate carpeting I pealed back some of the seal on a rear internal window to reveal some rusty water/residue so I peeled the whole seal off to reveal some rust forming which in my opinion means the cuts werent sealed correctly so Ive put Jenolite on them. Again the internal horizontal struts look like Stevie Wonder cut them.

Pretty (*&£ off because this is the only job I didnt want to attempt myself and bodge it, on reflection I know I could have done a better job...

I'd be interested for others opinions, maybe Im being too harsh? I havent paid for the whole job and Im refusing to pay unless he sorts it but I'm not convinced I want to let him near my van again...

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry mate but my opinion is that its a bit of a bodge.looks like they used a grinder and forgot to clean thier glasses off first.some of the cuts look sharp ie would cut you.they should of cleaned all edges up so smooth and painted all cut edges so no bare metal left and then run a rubber edging over that whole edge.i would take it back im sure when they see it they will realise what a rubbish job they done and offer to put it right.if they dont i would prob start looking for new garage
peace out dude

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's hard to comment on the full story so to speak, but looking at those pictures it looks like a poor job.

I'd challenge anyone to conclude otherwise frankly.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers folks, yes was pretty gutted when I went to pick it up and it looked like that... really do wish I'd done it myself. In my opinion hat slider has to come out, which just makes me think its going to be troublesome in the future because I doubt he will prep right when it comes to putting it back on.

Guy who did it does this for a living, we've had words and I'm taking it in next week to get sorted. I appreciate the silicone on there isnt his fault (it was under some foamex) but he should have called me to say there was an issue and we could have looked at it and figured something out. I only went with him because I was on a tight budget and he offered to do it for £550 (although now he says he wants £600). But still, how on earth does anyone look at that and thinks it's a good job and a customer would be happy with it?

That doesnt take away from the fact the cutting is absolutely dreadful, the metal hasnt been protected adequately. If he makes it right then fair enough but if not I'll be naming his company on here and Facebook etc so no one else ends up with a job like this.

There are other things as well, but Ive put those to one side for now...

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry dude did you say 500 pound.for one window. a one hour job. wow .i used express windscreans in witney and they charged me 150 which i thought was a lot at time.but they supplied window match tint for me and did top qualaty job inside and out.he let me watch and talked me threw whole process step by step.if i was you id stay away from that garage mate.sounds like they taking advantage of people with a passion for vw;s and robbing people .hope u resolve this prob
peace out dudes

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again pretty jagged/uneven cuts (a couple of the pics are actually the rear window) and when i practiced putting a bit of scrap carpet under the seal I saw some rust under there - took the seal off and it hadn't been primed/sealed correctly and rust was forming.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Cut your losses DON'T take back there he'll probably botch it more.
Get the windows cut back out tided up and refitted.

You can get trim like this which fits the two skins without crimping together.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-VAN-SIDE-WINDOW-KNOCK-ON-INNER-TRIM-XTRA-LARGE-upto-14mm-x-8MTRS-/181787402345?hash=item2a535fa069

Also the vehicle glass company do trims that fit well and would hide the metal work but expensive.

http://www.thevehicleglasscompany.co.uk/VW_TRANSPORTER_T5__T6_LWB_PAIR_OF_FRONT_WINDOW_INNER_TRIMS_--product--3894.html

Please cut your losses DON'T go back there.
Chin up.
Hate this kind of shlt3.
He should go and find another profession.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts