VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just got myself 2 captains seats to swap my double front and drivers seat with and am now undecided on whether its the best idea or not. We have a baby so ideally want to be able to carry 3 people and my original plan was captains seats in the front, double in the back with seat belts so mum and baby would ride in the back. The more I think about it the more I think maybe it would be better to keep 3 in the front and then not bother about seat belts for the back, just a have a bed.

Has anyone else had exactly these thought? I am sure loads of you guys have so thought I would ask opinions please :)

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,170 Posts
For YOU, I think the double could work well as long as the baby seat is not too wide.
The seat back is too upright but that can be modified,. However I personally reckon the double front is way too narrow for two grown people and is not good for distance comfort at all.
Keep the pair of singles and see how you get on with the double front initially (but before you commit anything behind!) - but I think you will probably fit the singles in the end :)

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I think you might be right. Annoying thing is I now have loads of seats! I got hold of a pair of captain seats in a dark grey (not from a VW but obviously anything can fit) and then found 2 t4 seats so got those as well....and am now considering sticking with the 3 I had in the first place as we have a baby!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm with Hoovie on this one.

On my new vans I always specified single seats; the double to me was just a wate of space, and really not very useable (it's a narrow vehicle).

Although I have captains seats in my Multivan, the armrests seldom get used ;)

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't actually realise how narrow the middle seat was until I had 2 passengers (which has happened once in 2 years!) and needed to keep getting them to move their leg. However, a baby is a bit different. I notice when I search for 'double or single' seat threads they always start with 'having a baby so am switching to a double front seat'.

I guess I could use the money that I get selling my 4 captains seats to get the double and singe recovered to look a bit nicer.

Still undecided though so keep the opinions coming :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
There is a pile of new baby / child seat legislation being implemented before the end of the year. Have a check up on that to make sure your plans don't get squished by those who put these rules in place.
Have a feeling that I saw something that suggested kids seats in the front was to become a no-no. My kids are all thirty plus so it was of low interest to me and I didn't keep a record of what it said in detail.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hi mate i wouldnt worry too much about the new legislations will only apply to new products and not existing ones meeting todays standards.
Also its only illegal to have a child in the front in a rear facing seat.

They for some strange reason have decided to rename the sizing catagories "i-size" seems the guys up top think that putting "i" in front of things makes them more relatable. Apple should have patented that shizz

I have 2 kids in car seats in mine. Me and lad in the front on 2 singles and the ladies in the back on 2 singles. The rears are on NMI rails so easy removal.

We have a big awning and sleep in that atm but hope to make the remaining space into seating/storage/foldout kids bed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having this debate with myself until last night. only got the van Sunday. it has a twin passenger seat, i was considering getting a single seat for the back and putting the baby seat in the front middle. not a great deal of room left for the passenger but it was usable. what killed the idea was i couldn't select any gears below neutral as the stick was hitting the child seat base. so that made my mind up for me. now going to fit a single in the front and a twin in the rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts