VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :ILU: HELP PLEASE
I'm thinking of splashing out on a pop-top Remo style roof for my bus. Are these type of roofs worth fitting? :confused: (Not just the Remo ones but pop-tops in general) At the moment I have a pull out multivan bed which is good but I fancy having a pop-up for the extra room.
What are they like to live with; benefits and drawbacks please.
I'm wondering wheither its worth putting one on my converted Caravelle. She's a very tidy 2.5 TDi Auto registered 2000 with 135,000 miles, air conned up with aux heater and all the bits. I reckon she's worth a good £8000 as she stands so will the roof add any value when I come to sell or is it worth holding onto my dosh ? :confused:
Opinions please T:
Pete.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We fitted a poptop to our conversion and do not regret it for a minute. Undo 3 straps and up it goes, takes slightly longer to take down as you've just to make sure it's not caught in the roof as it comes down. Gives lots of space and we have a roof bed too which is handy when our daughter comes with us or for extra storage. It is a lot more expensive than a high top but in my opinion, worth it. T:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I never fancied a tent on top of my van and prefer the fibreglass solid hi tops. I am thinking of having aztec campers in swansea do my van.just personal tastes in the end.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Thought you were selling the multivelle?

Its well worth dong if you are going to keep it.

Rob

·
Registered
926 Posts
We went Reimo Friends have Hi top
Reimo
Advantages:)
Keeps the van low for fuel economy,Car parks, etc.
Must be 10 ft at the front so loads of head room for standing & plenty of room for sleeping. (feet down the low end:D)
Pretty good storage when up.
no speed deteriation. Vroom...
Breaths so less condensation

Dis advantages.:(
No storage or head room when down.
Need the low end into the wind if pretty windy.
Flaps a bit in the wind but much less than a tent
fabric is less damage resistant than GRP
Easy to put up but care needed on lowering. Only a minute but you need to walk round the outside to make sure its all tucked in. (not so great if its raining)

High top
Advantages:)
You always have head room.
Masses of storage
Solid
No puttey uppey takey downey

Dis advantages.:(
car parks & low places
Wind resistance & related fuel economy & speed
Doesn't breath so condensation. Friends have fitted a huge turbo extractor.
Less sleeping head space. (in the ones I have seen but other/newer designs may be improved.

Both can take roof racks but their are issues with both.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent stuff everybody - :ILU: - thank you.
I'm going to take the plunge and go for a pop top; the bus is running really sweet at the mo with no probs so should be good for a few more miles me thinks so it would be a shame to get rid of her and possibly buy something else that might not be so reliable T: after all I have been looking after her............having the top fitted by a chap called Ian in Torquay, Devon, been down to see him and he seems to know his stuff.....anybody else dealt with him??..........T:
By the way Gaz, was it a 24 or 36 month warranty you gave me when I bought your bus ? LOL:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd say go for it if you intend keeping the van for a few years - all the advantages mentioned already plus also lots more light and ventilation from the 2 mesh panels either side and plastic window in front - you can have an optional roof bed - we didnt as only the 2 of us, but I'm gonna make a small shelf to fit at the rear of the roof when erected(ooer!) for storage onsite
We had ours done this April by MAD workshops in Bristol - great job - they have a website
good luck!
ps - it does add value to the van and also would make it easier to sell - we're getting ours insured for the extra cost

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi I'm just about to add a pop top to my 2003, 888 special.
I had it professionally converted 2 years ago by jerba campers in berwick
Mine is the silver T4 in the picture and the interior pics with the RIB seat in Inca fabric that he has on his site

http://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/convert-your-van-volkswagenT4.asp

I was looking at a Reimo but the prices quoted are over £3500 fitted.

I found these guys recently and ma hoping to get my van down there in Sept to get a top fitted in September

http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

Anyone else used them?

John (Glasgow)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts