VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a service done on my 2002 T4 2.5 TDI 888 by an independent VAG garage. They have quoted me for work they say is needed:

Front and rear discs and pads
Brake fluid change
Near side lower ball joint split

£446.34 Is this within reasonable territory ?

They are also saying that the brake pad warning light loom is 'broken' (warning symbol comes on on dash) and that a new loom costs £226 :eek: but they can look at making up a loom for me (?). I know the sensors tend to go and people kind of live with it or 'bypass' them as long as they get their pads checked/changed as required.

What do you think ?
Advice/opinions gratefully received thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
do the pads and discs yourself for less than £100 , to be honest its maintenance its good to learn to do yourself (the more you do the more you learn ) I have cut the sensors on mine (pain in the back side and as you say you should check regularly anyway)

and if you bought a good pressure bleeder like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure-Brake-Clutch-Bleeding-Bleeder-Bleed-FREE-UNIV-/181173207586?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item2a2ec3c222

get someone that knows what they're doing to guide you through it (it is the brakes after all ) you have saved yourself over £200 and will continue to save every year ...

I have the above bleeder and it is fantastic , I can flush and bleed the entire system in 20 minutes , 10 if its on a ramp

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply(s) yourloveismydrug. Yep, I'm no mechanic but I have a feel for when my pants are being taken down and I thoroughly take your point about the benefits of learning to this kind of thing myself.
I have in fact found a guy (experienced/qualified) who will being doing the work for a much less inflated price and will be happy to go through things with me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They are also saying that the brake pad warning light loom is 'broken' (warning symbol comes on on dash) and that a new loom costs £226 :eek: but they can look at making up a loom for me (?). I know the sensors tend to go and people kind of live with it or 'bypass' them as long as they get their pads checked/changed as required.
Blatant rip off. This is a really common problem. Only the pads on the front left and right rear are wired up, so you can visually look at these and see if you can spot the break. If you can then you can simply solder the break, or splice in a new small length of wire. If you can't find the break then the light/beep can be deactivated using a full copy of VCDS/Vagcom if you know anyone local to you who has it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blatant rip off. This is a really common problem. Only the pads on the front left and right rear are wired up, so you can visually look at these and see if you can spot the break. If you can then you can simply solder the break, or splice in a new small length of wire. If you can't find the break then the light/beep can be deactivated using a full copy of VCDS/Vagcom if you know anyone local to you who has it?
Thanks T: , yeah I was aware of the sensor issue - does it need to be a full version of vagcom ?. I've downloaded VCDS lite, I know it's a bit limited but had the impression you could disable things like the brake pad warning etc. with it ...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It's not a blatant rip off it is what a decent retail garage costs. Yes you can get a mate to do
it cheaper and get the parts cheaper from Euros etc which if that's what you want to do then go for it. If you want a proper garage to do it with a full parts and labour warranty within appropriate time scale and all the proper tools then that's what it costs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
£10 not for one that lasts it doesnt
I've fitted genuine a vw ball joint that was knackered in 12 months

My local motor factors do them for £10 + vat and They are spot on ..

depends on suppliers and manufacturer . I know a lot of ebay stuff is but expensive doesnt always mean good

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's not a blatant rip off it is what a decent retail garage costs. Yes you can get a mate to do
it cheaper and get the parts cheaper from Euros etc which if that's what you want to do then go for it. If you want a proper garage to do it with a full parts and labour warranty within appropriate time scale and all the proper tools then that's what it costs.
Their charges aren't based on using proper tools, appropriate time scales or adding in parts and labour warranties.It's based on the fact that the majority of its clientele wouldn't know a spanner from a screwdriver so they charge accordingly.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Their charges aren't based on using proper tools, appropriate time scales or adding in parts and labour warranties.It's based on the fact that the majority of its clientele wouldn't know a spanner from a screwdriver so they charge accordingly.
No offence but that's the funniest thing I've read in a long timeLOL:

You could say the same about any trade - if you know how to do it yourself then do it or learn how to do it, if you don't you pay someone who does know........same as a plumber, sparks, chippy, tiler, sprayer etc.

But I am actually part in agreement with you, their charges are based on the fact that they can do it and the customer can't but they also have overheads (in my experience there is usually a pretty good link between the standard of workshop and equipmemt and the standard of work) and they have to offer a labour warranty which means if the is a fault with either the part or their labour you only ever pay once.

Although most people think they are mechanics these days with varying resultsI:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Totally agree with you on that, mechanic pay is s h i t e for what you have to do :( I did 10 years in the motor trade, had to get out:(

Although motor trade in general not a big money maker

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You've misunderstood me. I was referring to the £226 for some wiring loom.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts