VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Too good to be true, and an advert full of holes.

I don`t think the 2.4 was made that late, and i don`t think VW would have put it in a long-nose.
But most importantly, if it were a genuine 78K miles, it`d be worth more than £4K. I feel the lack of history is probably the most telling point.

Mind you, i could be wrong, it is the season of goodwill after-all.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
.....and a twin slider!

I personally like 'em, but know others dislike them more so, x

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I just MAY be able to go have a look at this tomorrow. Our office isn't far away.

I'm sure I've seen later 2.4s and even a 2.4 'velle with a long nose.

One way to maybe check, is to call them and ask what cylinder capacity the v5 shows. 2461 = 2.5 tdi, 2370 = 2.4d :*

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If it was me personally I'd err on the side of caution.

They want a quick sale, hence the lower price, but why do they need to get shot?
No documented history, but the Irish ambulance service have been the previous owner. I would've though they would have had it maintained at the correct intervals plus had all the paperwork?

OR

Maybe the garage have had it for a while and just want rid for the space.
Maybe they aren't greedy and it's priced because they haven't any documentation.
You'd be getting a van below the average price for it's spec so you could afford a cambelt change and full service etc.

Not everyone selling vehicles is a scoundrel and on the make I suppose.

Give them a bell and let us know how you get on T:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
does seam very cheap for that mileage and year should be £5k..something sounds not right.motor dealers know exactly what they worth.and why has it not sold ???? i buy lots to t4s i wont be going for this one.but on the other hand could be bargain of the year.JUST REMEMBER THIS A FOOL AND THEIR MONEY ARE SOON PARTED.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Too good to be true, and an advert full of holes.

I don`t think the 2.4 was made that late, and i don`t think VW would have put it in a long-nose.
But most importantly, if it were a genuine 78K miles, it`d be worth more than £4K. I feel the lack of history is probably the most telling point.

Mind you, i could be wrong, it is the season of goodwill after-all.
All velle's from '96 on were long nose mate, that's includes the 2.4D. I reckon they have got it wrong and it's actually a tdi as it has the later clocks. If it hasn't got any history you should budget for a full service and belts change asap. To verify the mileage you can also check the mot history online on the dvla website, just ask for the number from the top of the certT:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
I thought the 2.4d didn't have a rev counter, so it's either different clocks on the dash, which might account for the overly low milleage?

Or an engine transplant? Unlikely to replace a 2.5 with the 2.4 though.

Or it has the wrong engine listed and it is a 2.5

Or i am wrong and some 2.4d have a rev counter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like it may be too good to be true then!

I will give them a call tomorrow and check out some the things that have been mentioned and give you an update.

Bigcat if you do get a chance to take a quick look that would be fantastic as I am down in Devon and don't want to drive all that way if it is no good (but no worries if not as I will still call them and make some checks first).

Cheers. T:

·
Registered
518 Posts
looks a bargin to me.i bet its a 2.5 tdi.most company owners wont beable to give records with motor as reciepts are kept for company records for tax man and accounts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Vehicle Identification
Manufacturer: Volkswagen
Hi guys I have just done a mini check and this is the only information available for this vehicle, I would conclude that this is genuine and a bargin, however you could also ring the dealer and as for the owner details on the v5c and then get more details of the service history from them, but like the last member aid most companies do not hand over the service reports etc..When I brought mind I called VW and found a lot about the history from them.Hope this helps.

Report for X965ADG
Model: Not available
Year: 2001
Colour: Red
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil
Engine Size (CC): 2400
VIN: Not available
V5C Issued: Not available
Tax
Tax Status: Licence Not Due
Expiry Date: 01/03/2012
Registration Date: 20/09/2011
6 Month Cost: £118.25
12 Month Cost: £215.00

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd ask them to email you copies of the paperwork.
The Eastern Ambulance Service was dissolved about 2005, although as the bus is older than this, I guess the paperwork could still be in their name.
First thing I noticed though is the reg number. DG is a Gloucester identifier. The Gloucester DVLA office has been closed some years. If this garage had to register an Irish vehicle I guess they'd go to Birmingham or perhaps Worcester. Gloucester area was split between Worcester and Bristol, but I don't think Worcester would use an old Gloucester registration. Don't know, I'd want to see the paperwork to prove what they're saying is right.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
its an irish import so it`ll be cheeper then a uk spec one.... also irish spec cars and vans have their clocks in kms not miles so id suspect the clocks have been changed.... look for signs of taxi-ing too if your going for a look.... also if van is imported it might be more expensive to insure

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just thinking on fella, if you view and like, you could pay a deposit using Visa and that`ll give you a fair deal of protection should things turn out not as hoped. T:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Most vehicles operated by Police forces, Ambulance Services etc are generally serviced to a very high standard but by their own workshops using genuine parts. They will not therefore, have a documented dealer service history such as you would look for with a privately owned vehicle. If you can locate their workshops, they may be willing to give you an extract from the vehicles (internal) computerised service record. Imported vehicles will be issued with an age related "local" registration number by the nearest LVLO to the applicant.
Could it be that there's a genuine vehicle here just waiting to be snapped up by some lucky person?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I really can't see what all the fuss is about ? Look at it, Drive it, Buy it or walk away, if you buy it and something is not right you take it back. They look a very friendly reputible garage.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I couldn't get to see this properly today as the guy who runs Halesowen Autos was at his daughter's school play. In fairnes it was wet n windy and believe me no one in their right mind would have been out car shopping anyway.

I could see front and offside. A few carpark type small dents in the drivers door.

Generally though it appears to be quite tidy.

I have since spoken with Halesowen Autos ( real sorry can't remember the guy's name). Struck me as approachable and straightforward.

The bus is a 2.4d. It has been sprayed at some time prior to Halesowen Autos having it. There sadly is no history.

They are happy to talk to folk about it and welcome viewing, they have had a lot of "2.5 hunters" call them as a result of the ebay ad.

My suggestion would be to contact them direct. I may be able to get to see it again, but not til next week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts