VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title, what's everyone's experience of the optimum sizing to get precision when driving removing the standard tyres super balloon bounce, whilst at the same time retaining sufficient sidewall depth to be a practical high use/varied road van?

Its between 215/60 x 16s or 225/50 x 17s I think
Which should I go for?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
As the title, what's everyone's experience of the optimum sizing to get precision when driving removing the standard tyres super balloon bounce, whilst at the same time retaining sufficient sidewall depth to be a practical high use/varied road van?

Its between 215/60 x 16s or 225/50 x 17s I think
Which should I go for?

Cheers
Sorry should have said a better option for the 17's would be 55 profile, but would stick with 225 width wise.

What ever you decide upon, it's important to ensure you get the correct wheel offset, and of course relevent load rating for both the wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Reckon I,d go with the 215,s .... OEM spend much on ensuring optimum , in development , its what it was designed for !! There will come a time , sooner , or later , when our MOT requirement includes wheels/tyres , as in some other EU countries ....!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ive tried various wheel/tyre sizes and have found on my syncro 225/55/17 are best looking and the 55 gives me a correct load rating on the tyre. where as a 225/50/17 didn't T:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well if you what to go down the optimum route without looks, like you asked, You're going to have to go with what they usually come with. Factory design is set at optimum in reality. I have 16Inch Borbet A's on my van. Wider rims on the rear but that is for fashion over function.
I initially had a set of 18 inch Passat rims on with 225/45 tyres on and the ride was disgusting. Once I changed over tot he Borbets the ride improved massively. Currently on 16/215/60 (I think??!). The rears are J9 and fronts are J8 with offsets as well, so I'm running a stretch look. Damn sight better and the load rating is correct for the van as well.

You'll also find that 16 inch tyres with proper load ratings are cheaper than the larger sized rims as well. Win Win all round in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts