VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

After 2 years, I have at last found my T4.

Let me introduce you to Optimus Prime:

Aptly named because of the transformation that is required!

Prime is a 1996 1.9d panel van, and as you can see needs some work. For those of you wondering, I always wanted a project. I have restored many classic Land Rovers in the past but this is my first T4.

The plan is for a fully usable camper for our family (wife and 2 rugrats) so the main jobs will be an engine conversion (advice needed on what would be best as I want to tow a boat, please feel free to comment on best transmission also?) a full re spray, pop to p roof and a Custom interior.

I like attention to detail but Prime is intended to be used so needs to fit the criteria of what we need as a family, this includes blown heating, full interior etc but with some added retro kit like Fuchs wheels possibly. Of course being in this condition Prime will get a brake overhaul etc etc.

We collect Prime on Sunday and as I am sure you will all appreciate when you got your first van, I seem to have adopted the inability to sleep as my mind is now completely saturated with 'ideas'!

So for now, I will begin to make my list of jobs to do but please feel free to assist from lessons you have learnt and tell me some key things I might need to do at certain points, for example fit wiring for things before fitting floor etc?

All the best, Gav

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Collection day! Big thanks to Dave who I bought this from. Now interestingly its registered on the log book as a Caravelle??

So here is us loading, bringing home and a quick strip and clear out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the list will now begin, I will go over this head to toe and do everything I need to and more. I am chuffed to bits with this, what can you buy for £500 these days? A bargain project T4 that's what!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spent another hour this afternoon tinkering and found that the soundproof on the bulkhead underneath the dash is really wet so there is obviously a leak somewhere.

It has been standing outside for ages but is there a common issue with leaks around the windscreen or anything I should look at?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spent another hour this afternoon tinkering and found that the soundproof on the bulkhead underneath the dash is really wet so there is obviously a leak somewhere.

It has been standing outside for ages but is there a common issue with leaks around the windscreen or anything I should look at?
check for rust under the rubber of windscreen .

A lot of work for the Van but in the end it's going to be nice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a few jobs done today:

Removed all the cab roof lining and surrounding plastic housing.
Removed the dash
Identified cause of leak - windscreen rubber is knackered and it has rusted underneath so that will need sorting as a priority, am i right thinking the screen is bonded??
Rubbed down and sprayed the dash support bar,
Removed ligts, old bumper and 3 piece grille - on that I want to update to a newer 1 piece and I am assuming I can?
Removed rear lights and rear bumper.

So not a bad day really. I have identified that the sliding door sill is rotten and needs replacing. I have searched for a repair panel but cant find one anywhere? Are they available?

If anyone is interested I now have an early front bumper available, front lights, grille and 3 piece grille?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so today was the day I decided to tackle the sliding door step and sill. I spent ages inspecting it and because it's double skinned the only way I can ensure it is repaired fully was to cut the whole thing out!

As you can see form the pictures below it is in need of sorting however it's not too bad, it's actually quite solid so this will be stripped right back and repaired before welding back in. Thankfully I was able to remove it without significantly affecting any structure so welling back in should be fairly easy, albeit long winded!

Whilst underneath I noticed that the inner door sill are not great but they are repairable without removing.

I had to get this job done before I can continue really. The next jon is the windscreen and then once all the fabrication is done I can carry on with the build!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so a few weeks have passed but it's been very busy!

The step was removed and welded up and now is welded back in lining up perfectly.

The rear bumper hangers have been repaired.

Windscreen re sealed.

The roof is now insulated.

The side panels are insulated except for the the where the side windows will be.

The floor is also now insulated and I have also started to respray the front plastic trim with Vinyl spray.

The next few weeks will be fitting the side windows, carpet the exposed metal inside, and making sure the dash looks awesome.

One question I have is the sound proofing (if that's what it is) behind the dash against the bulkhead was so wet it had to go. Can this be replaced? Not seen any about.

I will upload some pictures over the next couple of days ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts