VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and help,
A few days ago an orange ‘engine’ shaped light came on on my dash clocks (T28 T5 2.5 130bhp). I took it to my mates garage and he plugged me in. the Diagnostic machine did not show a fault! We reset the warning and all was good until today. Its back on again. Can anyone suggest a reason for this and is it serious?
:(

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Could be anything. My engine light came on and the diagnostics said it was an intermittent central locking fault.!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
your fault is similar to mine would have to keep reading fault codes and resetting warning light until what is causing fault fails but would think as above mentioned a glow plug was my problem no3 on a 5 pot

·
Registered
471 Posts
2 glow plugs went on mine, no lights or codes appeared, only found it cause the engine stuttered a bit as it started in cold weather. i record the amount of current drawn by the plugs when new so i can determine their condition later.

·
Registered
177 Posts

UMMM mine came one yesterday :(, it was fine first thing in the morning, drove 20 miles to work and parked up, came to start it to go home, it started fine but the warning light came on, the van seems fine but I'm not puttin my foot down until I get it read, gonna pop up to see Martin at Pendle as I rang him for advice, had a DPF delete and map done a month or so ago, didnt think it was anything that he had done by the way just asking advice before taking it to VW and he said to bring it up and he would read what the fault is, nice guy I: if we get to the bottom of it I'll let ya know on Sunday T:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Had light as described on about 9 months ago, was 2 faulty glow plugs then recently light reappeared this time i erased fault code and warning light several times until fault would no longer erase this time, scan was saying exhaust gas pressure sensor so bought new super seeded part number and a week on still all is good

Its also wierd how you have a fault after fitting cruise control as i did which made me think what have i done wrong but hopefully problem is not related to this and as mine appears to be ok now fingers crossed

My DPF has not been removed so also checked this for regen but was less than 15% so not required but carried out forced regen anyway

Another thing that can put engine light on is air bag and as you have disturbed yours ? so hopefully a reset only is required

·
Registered
177 Posts

Right everyone you can relax !!!

I know youve all been so worried about my van since the engine warning light came on I:

well fear not :D it was a glow pluge in chamber 1 , I've just got back from seeing Martin at Pendle perf he diagnosed the fault for me but unfortunately couldn't turn the warning light off ( it wouldn't let him )
He activated my cruise control while I was there and I've gotta say WHAT a difference, I haven't used cruise control since being in America 7 years ago so have forgotten how fantastic it is, it seems soooooo much quieter at 60 on cruise than just driving at 60 normally but I dont know why :confused:

once again Thankyou Martin T:

·
Registered
736 Posts
your pleased its only a glow plug as i was when diagnostics said same but this is a 5 hour job to change all glow plugs bumper of headlights out to do job have fun :)

·
Registered
177 Posts

Hi prawnypaul
you'de better belive I was happy with it being a glow plug A:

only had the van since November, didn't want any expensive repair work now, still gettin over paying for it LOL:

there is a thread on here about doing the glow plugs, it is headed Glow Plugs/Headlights Change with Pictures, I though he had taken the front bumper off to do the headlights and just did the glow plugs half way through as it would have been a little easier to lean over the engine without all that bumper there, so your telling me it has to come of to do the glow plugs aswell :(

I knew from the thread the inlet manifold needs to come off for access to the plugs, which will give the the excuse to clean it LOL:

must cost a small fortune if fow vee do it :eek:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bobbster thread is great here is my earlier post sorry no pictures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took day of work today and set about replacing my glow plugs as have had warning light on for some time diagnostics said no3 & no5 plugs open circuit, started by getting engine hot then jacking front end and removing wheels and engine undertray then droped wheel arch liners for easy access to bumper screws then removed all inserts/number plate other bolts and screws also unclipped wire of back of bumper, bumper now off. then removed power steering and coolant tank bolts and pushed out of way then removed both headlamp units, then removed bolts holding front slam panel in place this then allowed radiators to move forward enough to gain access to manifold bolts,then first removed wires to egr and large jubilee clip on hose and two torque bolts for egr tube, unclip wires down by manifold bolts then remove 9 bolts holding manifold in place manifold now off, removed 6mm bolt holding bracket for wiring and carefully pulled wires of plugs, then using a 1,4 drive 10mm deep reach socket and extension removed glow plugs getting engine hot in first place should aid removal, all in reverse and back together again 5 hours later beam set lights erased fault codes and all is good, tested all old plugs and as diagnostics said no3 & no5 were faulty fingers crossed no more warning lights

Am i glad i took this job on answer is yes as saved myself £300 as i got glow plugs and gaskets for £65, main dealers quoted me £365 to do job for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Had a result today about the glow pug situation A:

I phoned VW up and enquired if they are covered by the warrantee and yes they are :D

I haven't mentioned about the re-map though, not sure if it voids my warrantee or not or wether they would even know it's been done, anybody know anything about this ????

I heard that they wouldn't cover turbo problems but everything else would be ok, or am I just deluding myself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts