VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding a CD player to my 2001 Caravelle as it's only got the Beta radio cassette.
From memory, VW's of this era had the separate CD unit underneath?
However, beneath my radio is a small little tray which looks like it could come out to allow for the fitment of the additional CD unit but, it looks like I'd have to change the surround on my heater dials?
I'm only interested in fitting the original options and was just wondering if someone could let me know what I need to do?

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Not sure from memory if the Velles did have a CD player in the lower appiture, I know one of mine had the changer in the glove box.

Someone with a better memory than mine should enlighten us. I'm liking the originality vibe though chap T:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my set up at the moment;

It looks as though there is enough space but, the dial surround would have to be smaller?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Not sure from memory if the Velles did have a CD player in the lower appiture, I know one of mine had the changer in the glove box.

Someone with a better memory than mine should enlighten us. I'm liking the originality vibe though chap T:
Lachlan, mine has CD autochanger in the glovebox (bit bulky, but they were all those years ago); have also seen them mounted under the passenger seat. In Germany usually mounted in the lower dash centre console.

Those mounting 'double din' style units usually go up (compromising vents), because of the structure behind the facia.

Like the old skool look too, but sadly someone nicked my original head unit .......... but at least the pioneer replacement from all those years ago illuminates green T: T: T: T:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Like the old skool look too, but sadly someone nicked my original head unit .......... but at least the pioneer replacement from all those years ago illuminates green T: T: T: T:
Just found the facia in the office ........................ Doh! it's Kenwood not Pioneer, not been fitted for well over a year or more; and a senior moment allowed me to forget LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Lachlan, mine has CD autochanger in the glovebox (bit bulky, but they were all those years ago); have also seen them mounted under the passenger seat. In Germany usually mounted in the lower dash centre console.

Those mounting 'double din' style units usually go up (compromising vents), because of the structure behind the facia.

Looking at the Photo Chas I think it'll be a glove box jobbie too unless Mike trawls Ebay de for the lower console you mention T:

·
Registered
150 Posts
The radio has a CD button so I assume it has an input for CD but how do you get to the radio aux CD input?
I can't see any way of accessing the radio.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
The radio has a CD button so I assume it has an input for CD but how do you get to the radio aux CD input?
I can't see any way of accessing the radio.
As mentioned the CD has generally been housed in the glovebox so the cable would through there to the back of the unit I assume. The radio comes out easily enough using the doofers that are widely available.

X-car-link do a USB box that utilises the CD input which would be my preferred route if keeping the original head unit...

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
As mentioned the CD has generally been housed in the glovebox so the cable would through there to the back of the unit I assume. The radio comes out easily enough using the doofers that are widely available.

X-car-link do a USB box that utilises the CD input which would be my preferred route if keeping the original head unit...
Not sure what is on the back of that Gamma head unit connection wise.

I know I used a short Kenwood DIN cable, without any mods for my head unit. The guy at the local car stereo store, was happy to see that unit go VERY cheap, as it illuminated green (so yesterday), it actually has a red option too I just don't think he realised!

He also assured me that sadly it would not work (or interface) with my model Kenwood CD autochanger even though they both had the standard round 13 pin plug. I had to have green so I took it, went back to the office, connected everything ................ IT ALL WORKED (and still does) ........................ but they are no longer trading, wonder why ;)

Anyway, back to the plot, if the unit has rear CD connectivity ............ glovebox is probably the place; connection via a short cable through a discreet hole in the lower glovebox. The only slight downside, certainly on mine anyway, is I have two drinks holders on the glovebox lid; so spillage is not really an option LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,121 Posts
As others have said, the CD option was a changer that either mounted in the glove box (unless you have passenger airbag!) or under the centre of the dash in the console.

There is NOT space under the radio, as there is a fookin' great bar of metal for the re-enforcement of the dash for collision protection!

Rare as hens teeth, as most people junked them, but searching may find something....like this from 3 years ago!

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=242420

There is a company around that does an MP3 interface for the Beta/Gamma.....allowing you to use a USB stick and it displays the same as it would for a CD....Google it.

eg;

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=23&

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm after original. If you went into your VW dealer in 2001 and bought a brand new T4, surely there's no way he'd chuck a head unit in the glove box?!

The last link doesn't open the images up unfortunately so I can't see what I was being shown!

I don't need, MP3, Bluetooth, connectivity or a fondue, just an original CD player.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,121 Posts
It wasn't a "headunit"....it was a 6 CD changer that was controlled from your existing one, and could be "hidden" just about anywhere.
That's why you have the buttons on your headunit......ready for the "box" plugging in.

I have similar with my Sony Xplod......headunit in dash, 10 CD changer behind drivers seat....single cable from rear of headunit.
Advantage is...mine reads MP3 CDs....so I have 10 x 12 hours of music to chose from.....lasts me my annual 3 weeks trip to UK and back. T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,121 Posts
Glove box if you didn't have passenger airbag, or under centre console if you did (or maybe you could choose?)

Both links open for me.......

Was just thinking if you wanted things to LOOK original, but work in the "modern world", that last option would be perfect for you.

If you go to the site, you'll see how it works.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
or use one of these modern fangle things instead of CD'S.This is next on my shopping list

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-4-1j/music-interface-aux-mini-iso-audi-vw
g60, that looks like an interesting bit of kit. My seldom used CD autochanger has been in the glove box since we discovered the world was round, but I think the centre console is much better (just don't have one!).

My head unit has USB; so I have a 1TB memory stick full of tunes. As long as the band are playing in the background I'm OK ;)

Often quite happy to drive with nothing on at all; although it does get a bit chilly in the winter LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
My head unit has USB; so I have a 1TB memory stick full of tunes. As long as the band are playing in the background I'm OK ;)

Often quite happy to drive with nothing on at all; although it does get a bit chilly in the winter LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
That's not a good image; in the nude listening to songs from the thirties. I bet you've got "now that's what I call music hall 29"...LOL:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts