VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick one but...

I've got the original spare wheel with tyre sitting in my garage (both of which have never seen the road)... think it's pirelli

would the tyre be alright - there's no cracking or any indication that it's shot but it is 12 years old.

I'm having a bit of a clearout of stuff and don't know if to sell it as good - really don't want to off load it if it's dangerous

:confused:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well after a google it would seem the general consensus is to replace tyres after 10years - shame really as it's spanking - what a waste :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
If it shows no sign of deterioration and I wasn't blatting up and down the country at 100mph then I wouldn't be chucking it away! Try it on for a week and then give ita good looking at, see if any cracks appear or blebs etc. my mates audi (new in 2009 only 15,000 miles) has just had its tyres replaced because they had bad cracks between the tread. He was gutted as they had plenty of life left in the tread depth.
If you had bought a second hand car with what looked like new tyres fitted would you bother checking the manufacturing dates? I bet most of us wouldn't, we'd check tread depth and the overall look of the tyre.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you're prob. right - thing is I can't use it to check - I run a syncro with different sized tyres so it's useless to me - just trying to decide if to remove it and keep the wheel or if it's ok sell them together....

basically I just don't want to pass it on if it's going to be dangerous

1 - 4 of 4 Posts