VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just wondering if I could fit 55w Osram Night Breaker Plus to my 1998 T4 or would I need to upgrage the loom. What would be the max wattage you could go up to on the existing loom.
I look at all the Threads on loom upgrades etc but not realy sure what its all about, but i do know that my lights are very poor.
What would be the best bulbs to use on existing loom?

Thanks Astley

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) Better bulbs will help T: I believe any standard availability bulbs will work with the existing loom.
The upgraded loom (I got mine from Upspex, a member on here) is really easy to fit, follow the instructions and within half an hour your done. Your headlights will show a marked increase in brightness, definately one of the better modifications you can do to a T4.
I 'Think' it works by shortening the distance from battery to bulb, thus reducing the 'loss' of volts along the wire length (because the wire is shorter :D)

Chris

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,008 Posts
55w is the highest power lights permitted by law I believe?

Ref the loom, isn't it worth checking the voltage at the connectors before upgrading, as it may make no difference at all? I had full voltage on mine, so a loom upgrade would have no effect (found this when I assumed it would make a difference and bought the maligned Chinese one and on metering, found original and replacement both gave near enough same voltage as at battery, so no loom, however good, is gonna make that better.

PS. I'm running Philips Extreme and work well and better then standard.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
55w is the highest power lights permitted by law I believe?

Ref the loom, isn't it worth checking the voltage at the connectors before upgrading, as it may make no difference at all? I had full voltage on mine, so a loom upgrade would have no effect (found this when I assumed it would make a difference and bought the maligned Chinese one and on metering, found original and replacement both gave near enough same voltage as at battery, so no loom, however good, is gonna make that better.

PS. I'm running Philips Extreme and work well and better then standard.
60w is the highest E marked bulb you can fit legally so you were nearly there T:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fitted HID's on mine and the only way they would work was with a wiring loom upgrade, well worth doing and really easy to fit

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Now I'm often wrong but with HID's do you need self-levelling and headlamp washers?

I got Upsex loom, top quality and a reasonable price. You can go wrong. +nightbreakers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think washers are required when running projector hid's. The regular hid units fit directly into the housing so should be fine as the light is broken up/directed by the lens

·
Registered
112 Posts
Used a Transporters R US loom upgrade with nightbreakers, awesome. Be aware that they do get hot, so watch any plastic light housings etc T:

·
Registered
5 Posts
my HID's were fitted without any mods, they were simply installed into the existing bulb housing, the light points forward and is the right height and that is all that matters T:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I think that part of the problem with HiD's not have a self-levelling facility is when approaching traffic is dazzled when the vehicle crests a speed hump so an intense light is no longer pointing forward but up into an approaching drivers eyes.

Could be wrong tho'?

·
Registered
327 Posts
not all t4,s will require any loom upgrade check the voltage first, my 1999 plate was okay as is just upgraded the bulbs

·
Registered
154 Posts
my HID's were fitted without any mods, they were simply installed into the existing bulb housing, the light points forward and is the right height and that is all that matters T:
HID headlights must have self-levelling and washers fitted. Anything less will fail the MOT.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
HIDS in standard headlights are illegal end of
those who fit them in standard headlights have no consideration for other road users also makes you look like a boy racer.
I'm not getting into a debate into mine are fine bla bla bla because there not as the vocal point for focus is incorrect for a halogen headlight and causes light scatter and glare
get an upgrade loom and some descent bulbs and be nice too other road users .

·
Registered
34 Posts
if your looking for a upgrade loom and bulbs, I have a brand new set for sale which was bought from Upspex.
I have changed my headlights and are not required.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts