Discussion Starter #1
Remove hub bolt 23mm I think.

Remove lower ball joint 14 XZN (spline) needed

Pull hub away from shaft

Drive the hub bolt back into the hub

CV will pop of the shaft, cut boot clips

Remove joint and note position of seals and clips and remove boot

Clean the shaft and apply thin layer of new grease to splines

Instal small boot clip and boot slide them up the shaft and fit CV seals and clip and some grease

Pack the grease well into the new CV and work it into the bearings

Press the joint onto the shaft and tap it home

Fit the boot and crimp the boot clips.
Now put it all back together, you may or maynot need to remove the bottom bolt from the shock absorber to aid setting everything back up. Make sure everything is well tight and your sorted. A:

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi just wondering do you know dimensions for cv joint am gonna get some stetchy boots but not sure weather to get large or medium cheers

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just a few notes to add (on a 1.9D 1994)

My hub bolt must be 28mm I used a 1 1/16" AF.

The bolts holding the ball joint on was 16mm head front one and 17mm head on the rear? I checked the other side and it's the same so I take it's not a botch?

Don't use the drive shaft to help pull the brake discs and and ball joint into line, all it does is pull the oil seal out. If you do disturb the seal it'll dump gear oil over the floor! Put it all back together and release the hub bolt and use a brass drift to ease it back in turning the shaft to expose the next allen bolt to tap, seal it with heavy grease.

Use axel stands, that lot above your head is heavy, very heavy

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Have replaced the 2 on my 1993 Eurovan (US version of the T4) and they were both 16mm. Bentley manual has them both down as 16mm for early vans but then again it is for Eurovans. Perhaps there's a difference?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your lower balljoint boot is split...

But great writeup - just what I needed.

Looks like a 2 hour job - including finding the right tools, cleanup afterwards - and a brewski.

Happy driving

Jens Jakob

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your lower balljoint boot is split...

But great writeup - just what I needed.

Looks like a 2 hour job - including finding the right tools, cleanup afterwards - and a brewski.

Happy driving

Jens Jakob
Thanks, don't worry she's got nice shiney new ball joints just after that job. Still to do top ball joints :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I might be asking this on the fear that I am a big girls blouse but I've:

1) Removed the wheel and central hub nut.
2) Removed the two lower ball joint nuts.

and now I'm pulling at the hub (still with the disk and calliper attached) hoping it will come off.....but it doesn't. Do I just need to grow a pair or do I need to take something else apart (besides my aunts wardrobe).

G

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might be asking this on the fear that I am a big girls blouse but I've:

1) Removed the wheel and central hub nut.
2) Removed the two lower ball joint nuts.

and now I'm pulling at the hub (still with the disk and calliper attached) hoping it will come off.....but it doesn't. Do I just need to grow a pair or do I need to take something else apart (besides my aunts wardrobe).

G
Yes you are a blouse LOL:

anyway from memory I couldn't do it either so I put a jack under the disk abd jacked it up slowly and it will pull away from shaft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts