VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recovered a very shaken missus form a very close shave. She said van lost all power in outside lane but she managed to get drift across where someone kindly stopped and towed her to next lay by. I get a call from her and get there 10 mins later.

All electrics OK, timing belt OK. Van will crank but not start. I the drained fuel filter and hey presto!
All back to normal.

Is there anything else that could cause this? I keep on top of servicing and drain fuel filter every service. I will fit a new filter but it's amazing fuel would just shut off like that.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
1.9 800 'special'

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Cant help with diagnostics, but how your better half felt.when I was young and stupid I had an old jaguar with electric
fuel pump that used to cut out mostly when I was belting down the outside lane of the motorway.finally saved up for new pump
before I had a nasty accident.
hope missus is ok now, bu g a few glasses of wine in her and laugh about now.
happy motoring :ILU::ILU:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wine is always a good answer :)

perhaps it is the fuel pump but then why would a filter drain get it working again?

We'll try wine in the meantime...

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe. But what caused it? Went out again to shop and all seemed fine. Went to start up again...wouldn't start. Drained filter again. Started! What's going on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New fuel filter, rubber seal removed from fuel cap and a good rummage with a rod down the fuel breather seem to do the trick.T: I'll see how it goes over the next week or so and will report any further probs.

Thanks to everybody for their comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts