VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I seem to have developed a over heating problem on my 1996 1.9d , I've changed the thermostat today but still after building the temperature up on the driveway the light came on on the dash as the needle got to the mark before the H on the gauge. The Fans never cut in to cool the engine, is there any way of tricking the fans to see if they work?

GSF surggested it could be a coolant sensor but they was out of stock would have to order one. Thought i'd try the thermostat first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the 50amp strip fuses which engage the rad fans.

Bought my van with suspected head gasket fault and turned out to be a fuse for the fans which cost a quid!!

Not sure about the 1.9's but mines are in a wee box on the right side of the front panel, opposite the battery. Worth a shot

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, i'll have a look tomorrow.

Today i fitted a coolant temperature sensor, someone else suggested that the fan motors mite have seized up so what started as a quick job ended up with the front panel off, radiator out, fans off to find the motor's are free. Never mind its always good to learn i no what im doing next time.

fuses tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you ever resolve this problem or are you still having trouble ? I have over heating problems on my 1996 1.9 as well.

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've exactly the same problem with overheating on my 95 1.9d my fans work fine but are constantly on due to the overheating i only need to do a 8 mile journey and the fans are on so i'd be interested to know if gee stars or davigriff have managed to sort the problem out, please let me know what worked for you.

I've spent a small fortune trying to get to the bottom of the problem on my van and had two seperate garages look at it :(. I've changed the thermo sensor in the radiator and also the sensor at the engine, new thermostat, new waterpump, head gasket tested (all fine), radiator stripped of and full coolant flush done again everthing all fine. :confused:

It's now become an absolute pain and drives me mad i hate going on any journeys in the van, surely somebody on here has had the same problem and managed to get to the route of the problem.

Please any ideas as to problem would be appreciated.T:

·
Registered
494 Posts
check the louvers open behind the fans open when hot their on a waxstat so close when cold.its between the two fans at the back of the rad

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've exactly the same problem with overheating on my 95 1.9d my fans work fine but are constantly on due to the overheating i only need to do a 8 mile journey and the fans are on so i'd be interested to know if gee stars or davigriff have managed to sort the problem out, please let me know what worked for you.

I've spent a small fortune trying to get to the bottom of the problem on my van and had two seperate garages look at it :(. I've changed the thermo sensor in the radiator and also the sensor at the engine, new thermostat, new waterpump, head gasket tested (all fine), radiator stripped of and full coolant flush done again everthing all fine. :confused:

It's now become an absolute pain and drives me mad i hate going on any journeys in the van, surely somebody on here has had the same problem and managed to get to the route of the problem.

Please any ideas as to problem would be appreciated.T:
Might be putting you on a bum steer here as I am not up on this at all ,but I am sure I read somewhere that the water pump can be fitted wrong and be going backwards if that makes sense. The flow would then be wrong and may be causing the prob.
Am willing to be shot down in flames over this one tho.:confused:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
yes i think you're right about the water pump but it's not the pump put in the wrong way round, it's the belt that gets put on wrong, and turns the water pump the wrong way so the water doesn't get round the system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
soz to bring this subject up again but had radiator checked and waterflow run it is fine.

Any other ideas or can anyone recommend a garage in Lancs (Accy/B,burn area) who is clued up on T4's and may know how to resolve this problem. :confused:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So how soon does it warm up ,my 19 takes ages to get hot enough ticking over for the fans to kick in.-20mins -1/2 hour.

If it gets hot quickly I would suspect water flow problems.

If it gets hot slowly but the fans dont kick in, so it gets too hot , thats your problem.

You need to check you fans first .

I do think its water flow though.

My fans haven't kicked in all summer never got higher than under halfway usually on just above quarter , although I don't have a belly pan on ,so I think that cools it down a lot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
soz to bring this subject up again but had radiator checked and waterflow run it is fine.

Any other ideas or can anyone recommend a garage in Lancs (Accy/B,burn area) who is clued up on T4's and may know how to resolve this problem. :confused:

Cheers
sudle motors in darwen look after mine 2 decent lads, Chris & Danny 01254 776904
Sean

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Spudbasher the fans can come on after a ten mile journey and are then on and off constantly throughout journey it's worst on motorway, as can be seen in my previous reply on this threadi've had many new parts and spent a bit of money to resolve the problem and two garages later the problem is still there :confused:. Thing is i've spent a fortune on mods to van paint job, alloys etc, it really looks the dogs but at the minute i don't enjoy driving it as i constantly worry about heat, fans etc.

Cheers for reply Sab may check them out as local to Darwen.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
See you are in lancs,I have a spare rad.if you wanted to try it on to eliminate that .It came with some fans I bought so dont know if its ok. It certainly looks ok so you can lend it if you want .I am in Oldham area.

·
Registered
494 Posts
as i said before have you checked the louvers are opening behind the rad ,if no air can get through the rad it will not cool the water so the fans will come on because the water in the rad is hot.simptoms are heats up very quickly on short journeys not so bad at higher speeds with no load as higher air flow cools better .very simple and cheep to check start engine ,weight till fans start,put fingers bhhind louvers and feel if they are open and hot air is comming out of them ,if they are the fan will cool the water and the fan will stop,if they are shut the fan will keep running as very little air will pass through the rad

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
as i said before have you checked the louvers are opening behind the rad ,if no air can get through the rad it will not cool the water so the fans will come on because the water in the rad is hot.simptoms are heats up very quickly on short journeys not so bad at higher speeds with no load as higher air flow cools better .very simple and cheep to check start engine ,weight till fans start,put fingers bhhind louvers and feel if they are open and hot air is comming out of them ,if they are the fan will cool the water and the fan will stop,if they are shut the fan will keep running as very little air will pass through the rad
Agreed -easy to wedge open.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheers tim will check that out this week i'm not that clued up on mechanics etc what would you suggest wedging them open with ?

Cheers Spud for the offer i'll let you know if i need the rad, nice 1 T:

·
Registered
494 Posts
there is a waxstat between the two fans fixed to the rad cowling.it opens the louvers when hot by expanding and pushes downwards,its possable to move by hand when cold although quite difficult it has a pivot which pushes the near side cowling down and lifts the offside cowling up opening the louvers.the louver pivoting mechenism moves on some tubing which is held in place by the 3 bolts that hold the fans in place these go rusty swell up and prevent the louver mechenism from working,aload of wd40 may help.if you take it to bits i would remove the rad as all the screws rust and will most probably shear off.one way i found was to heat the plastic rad cowl and screws up to remove them its not a quick job but can be cheap if done carefully

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you look at the back of your rad there are two fans ,each with a plastic cowling housing the louvres ( a circle of plastic slats that should open and close like blinds ,these jam shut or open ,sometimes) I just undid the three little springs that clip on the outer edge of the cowls ,then forced the louvres open they stayed stuck open.
just a thought,but when we rebuilt my engine all the hosing /pipework was just chucked in a box ,it took some figuring out getting them all back right. If yours is a rebuild or been played around with its not impossible that the pipework may be incorrectly routed .
you might want to compare with a van with the same engine ,again you can have a look at mine :eek: if you want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts