VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to have my rear 6x9s in wheel arch boxes but I had to remove these when I had my rock n roll bed fitted, I thought of various places to fit them and decided that an overhead pod would be best. Was going to build one with storage as well but after making a template realized that it would pretty much obscure the rear window so i revised my template

Next was to cut the parts out of MDF

I then started to assemble

Took out to the van and tried a dry fit, I had to plane the back piece a bit as the roof dives down slightly which made the pod sit at an angle. I am planning to fit by using self tappers into the rear bit above the doors and tomorrow when I have more light will look above the headlining for extra ways of fixing(possible stick battens to the roof and fix into these)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

Heres how it is in my van. T:Hardly covers any of the rear window.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can't see the pic :*
Can i have a copy of the plans :confused:
Want to put speakers in the back of my bus
2 on the dash just ain't enough :ILU::cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great work....nice design and shape.

Would like to see how you get a good fixing in the van to hold the weight, i have been thinking catches on the botton going into the sides of the van.

If you are feeling kind spirited would love some cardboard templates... to help me get started :cheers

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great work....nice design and shape.

Would like to see how you get a good fixing in the van to hold the weight, i have been thinking catches on the botton going into the sides of the van.

If you are feeling kind spirited would love some cardboard templates... to help me get started :cheers
Thanks for the comment I have bonded some ply to the roof and fitted some battens to the framework of the pod. Will be checking tomorrow if the ply bonded OK and will be fitting the pod. I will also be screwing into the metal framework above the door and screwing into the side ply-lining. If youy Pm me your adress I will transfer the shape onto some paper (easier to post) and then you can use this if you like.
Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cheers for the plans - PM sent

Good luck with the battons - sounds a good plan

I was thinking of using the mdf as a mould and make the speaker pod from fibreglass perhaps, which should be lighter.

Still need to get a good fixing :bhd

I'm sure "No nails" would do it if all else fails lol,

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Looking good mate!, that's the sort of thing I want to do, have forward facing speakers rather than downward. The cut out in the middle looks good too. T:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Looking good mate!, that's the sort of thing I want to do, have forward facing speakers rather than downward. The cut out in the middle looks good too. T:
Thanks for that, just put the speakers in heres how it looks
]

Im pleased with the fact I still have good vision out the back window even with the rock n roll bed up

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Have done similar to this but I have units on the drivers side of the van so copied someone else in doing a very low profile job with speakers facing down, and another set of speakers under the seats facing forward.

This is plenty loud enough and at the deepest, about as low as the shallow part of this build.

I have to say, this looks like a good way to secure to the roof - my way is thoroughly bolted to the top of the units and into the top corner of the van on the other side.

I've also fitted reading lights down from the unit, and the interior light is mounted on the leading edge. This is due to be replaced by a snazy looking interior light from a T5 and I am putting another one on the rear to illuminate access through the tailgate.

Good work though - beyond my carpentry skills there.

Dave

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looking the dogs - good work on getting a fixing, and really neat finish.

Bet the sound is good without anything to obstruct the speakers T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts