VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls
When I was pushing a car onto the trailer today with the van engine running, there was a pop and a load of steam as it dumped all its coolant. It was there a good half hour before this so it wasn't instant but the radiator hadn't come on. The coolant leak was due to a hose blowing off underneath the engine. I reattached it and all seemed good but now it is leaking again (though nowhere near as much) from where I reattached the hose. The top of the hose was slightly damaged after the first incident so I will replace it but here is where I would like your advice and expertise:
The radiator did not come on which to me says fuse, fan or thermostat;
1. Can anyone tell me which fuse runs the fan? (I can't find anything on google and there is no card in the fuse box).
2. Are the fans prone to breaking and what is the best way to test it?
3. Where is the thermostat located and how can I test it?
4. Are these easy jobs for a novice? I:

My van is a 1997 2.4D Shortnose

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gutted as finally got suspension lowered today and wife was starting to warm to it :(

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The fuses are just above the n/side headlight, they are 50A thin flat fuses that cost pence change them even if they look ok, as they get hairline fractures. You will need to test the fans individually off a battery to check they work (care needed). The fan switch is in the middle of the rad on the o/side, VW will cost you about £30:eek:. I replaced mine when I fitted a new rad, as I wanted to be 100% sure that my cooling system is spot on. Check the vanes are opening up behind the rad fans if they are fitted to your vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for that. I'll check it out today :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts