VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My absolutely ideal would be if you are near my neck of the woods and I could come to you

I would love to undertake the work - but as with new ventures it's knowing what to do if you get a problem and that's where you would come in - would you be up for it?

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Have you dont a timing belt before? Do you have the locking kit?

I did one on a worthless caddy 2 years ago that I wanted to give to a friend who had fallen on hard times. I bought the parts, borrowed a timing lock kit and between 2 of us we managed to lock/mark/hold all the parts in place while we swapped out the pump and belt. We had nothing to loose and it worked well, but on the flipside I've done timing belts plenty of times in the past on my student car or my old kit car, so although a bit rusty, i did know what I was doing.

Every time you take the van out to experiment and it overheats, you are distorting and softening the cylinder head. You are causing serious accelerated wear to your engine which will be costly to fix.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is that a "No" then
Hi. Sorry home life has gotten in the way.
As things are now I am unable to offer physical assistance plus all my tools that I'd need are locked away at work..
I also don't have space at home to be carrying out work on anything all my work I do on my own vehicles is at my work.
If you are still wanting to carry out the work yourself and get stuck send me a message but I must stress if you are not confident then take it to a competent garage.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hi Crissid6 and Bobley,

I have purchased the parts required and the locking kit to mobilise the engine whilst the work is carried out.

I have spoken to a friendly garage and they have agreed to oversee my work to ensure that I don't do something stupid.

I really want to do this and I wanted to hedge my risk and I think this is the best option.

I also purchased a CO2 test kit for leaks into the coolant and the coolant didn't change from bright blue when I followed their specific instructions, However when I took the revs up from idling / "slightly reved" to 2500 - 3000 revs and held it there and reved it turned very slightly green but still mainly blue. But this was steeping outside the instructions for use.

I figure that it's a good idea to change the water pump anyway, so hopefully that cures it - if not the very marginal result of the CO2 sniff test would point to getting the head gasket done - but that scares me

I thank you for reply and support

Kind regards

·
Registered
92 Posts
Start the strip down and check the water pump impeller is fixed to the shaft if so carry on and strip the cylinder head off. Imo not worth putting a new cam belt on if the pump doesnt look damaged.
From what you've said my money would be on headgasket tbh, diesel dont normally show up very well on sniff tests.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Quick question. At any point have you undone the pressure cap and observed the release of pressure in the expansion tank? I know you said you changed the cap but if the bottle is damaged and it doesn't seal then the coolant will boil and go everywhere.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts