VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just looking through for inspiration on what to look for in buying a T5 , this will be my 1st van.
So far I've found threads on the common rust spots-Doors, front wheel arch etc, the odd power steering leak and noises on full lock.
I will be looking at ready converted - pop up roof and RnR bed. 2010 or newer.
Do pop up roofs suffer from any problems?
Any one got any other pitfalls to look out for?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Drive shafts and stub shafts on older model's, DMFs too, never had a pop up roof so can't comment on that. Welcome by the way!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive shafts and stub shafts on older model's, DMFs too, never had a pop up roof so can't comment on that. Welcome by the way!
Thanks. I know how to check drive shafts and stub shafts, how do you know if the dual mass flywheel is as fault ? would that be like clutch judder??

·
Registered
12,038 Posts
Rhythmic rattle/knock from cold that changes when you half depress the clutch pedal .
Also manifests as clutch judder when it gets a bit further on .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Just driven a 2005 1.9 with 87k miles was a bit tatty, then and bought a 2.0 2014 with 62k miles. none of the problems highlighted, drives like a dream, surprised how much grunt it has for a 102. :) we can close this thread, thanks for the contribution.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Welcome aboard, make sure to share some photos of your new toy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. I know how to check drive shafts and stub shafts, how do you know if the dual mass flywheel is as fault ? would that be like clutch judder??
Hi, I'm in the same position, starting to look but I think you know more than me! How do you check the drive & stuub shafts? Any other tips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't close the thread!! I'm just starting to look (buy once I've sold my car!).

Any tips on what problems to look out for are much appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I'm in the same position, starting to look but I think you know more than me! How do you check the drive & stuub shafts? Any other tips?
Hi Mark. I was told to listen at pull away for a clunk or a feeling of monetary slack in the transmission , there are 2 rotating flexible joints on each drive (same as all FWD vehicles.) If either joint knock as they take up rotational tension its time to pop it up on a jack and stands 'n get under, get someone to rotate the front wheel back and forth 1/8 turn, you should be able to hold the drive shaft and tell which joint is failing. Looking at other posts I havent seen the drive flange splines being a problem, just CV's and pot joints. If the van your looking at has been converted to a camper - check the log book for number of seats. I saw one with r'n'r bed and seat belts but was registered a 3 seater.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you! I get it, I'll test that one. And I hadn't thought about the logbook. Is it just the legalities or is there a tax impact?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! I get it, I'll test that one. And I hadn't thought about the logbook. Is it just the legalities or is there a tax impact?
Road tax goes on emissions (and max laden weight - I think. Mine is a T28 £265), insurance cover asks about seats (5 in mine). If its been converted all the docs should have been updated to the DVLA and changed from van to campervan as the body type and correct number of seats (check both on the V5) . Something else I found out. Not all insurance companies insure "campervans" ( I went with Flux Direct) - I had to install a fire extinguisher as a condition of insurance. ( £10 from Screwfix !!!!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts