VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from T4fest a mazda Bongo overtook me on the m3 (I know, this doesnt sound good, but I was just pootling along).

It had a sticker on the back "Bongo Fury" two words i never thought I would see together.:eek:

I mean what made someone associate the word Fury with a vehicle called a bongo/freda/freindee!? The words just dont go next to each other:D I mean maybe Bongo soothing or freindee fuzzy might be better.:D

On the offchance they may not be referring to the Captain Beefheart/Frank Zappa collaboration album from 1975, I googled, and it is a bongo forum/website.

Still, as I nearly bought a bongo (before we got the T4!) I guess I could be posting a q on how to attach my Khyam to a bongo :D Not as much talk about modding though, and I dont fancy wandering through a field of Bongos late at night looking for the right one (silver-silver-black-silver-silver-black-black-silver-green-silver-black-black).

John R

I also help disadvantaged/mad people - my brother drives a delica...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I dont fancy wandering through a field of Bongos late at night looking for the right one (silver-silver-black-silver-silver-black-black-silver-green-silver-black-black).
You could always put some wild graphics up the side to help you spot yours I:

·
Registered
214 Posts
A friend's sister has one - I hear there is a "Bongo Wave" which involves putting your hand flat on your head then tilting up - like a bongo's roof! :)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
TBH, I would have bought a Bongo had the MPG been better (they are woeful) - but I could have got a fully specced, all electric everything super low mileage Bongo for less than I paid for my base van......

As I say, it was only the 20mpg that put me off - each to their own and all that... :)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I think most of the ones you see knocking about are Jap imports and something about their second hand market means they're absolutely dirt cheap to buy over there..... (or, at least, used to be - I think the prices over here reflect a growing market - they're not as cheap as they used to be, although still massively cheaper than the equivalent T4) - plus the mileage on them is next to nothing - and the condition is normally immaculate.......

A guy I used to work for imported them as a sideline, along with things like Skylines and stuff, but the MPG on the Bongo is, at best about 32 mpg, with normal driving returning about 25mpg at best, which is pretty much the only thing that put me off.

As I say - other than that, the level of equipment in these things is incredible for the money - plus there's an argument to be had for Jap build quility being second to none - and that includes the fabled German vehicles we drive.............

I guess once diesel LPG conversions are more common place, these things will have an even bigger market - if I could get the same return on fuel economy, I'd be more than tempted............ :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A friend's sister has one - I hear there is a "Bongo Wave" which involves putting your hand flat on your head then tilting up - like a bongo's roof! :)
Thats just plain silly - and anyway I thought that was the handsignal for "your wig is loose!"

john r

·
Registered
313 Posts
I dunno if I should admit to this but here goes, I owned a Bongo and was a member of Bongo Fury forums before I bought the T4.:jd.

I'll be honest the drive and amount of gadgets that it had were brilliant. It would quite happily sit on the M4 test track at over a ton all day long (not that I ever tried mindI:), and the electric blinds and roof kept the nippa amused for hours. I owned it 18 months and covered 30,000 miles in it.

Down side, I got through 12 tyres, 2cv joints, fuel gauge sensor, 4 inside door pulls!! (they kept cracking) and a full exhaust system. On top of that even when I drove it sensibly I was lucky to get 22ish to the gallon. Also the Bongos "fold down bed" was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on in my life.

My reason for buying it? I really wanted a T4 but the whole seat belts in the back/ kids seats thing pushed me towards the darkside. I finaly saw the error of my ways and done the right thing.

I hope I am forgiven

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Live and let live, that's what I say. Each to their own and all that.

It's about gettin out there surley. All this "we don't like ****" that goes on really gets under my skin. (Check out the anti T4 Drivel on VZI Forum or what ever it's called if you don't know what i mean).

I bought my T4 because I like them, being a VW is a huge bonus I must say, but as a said early...

Live and Let Live...

Guy

Rusty, but loved T4 Owner..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Live and let live, that's what I say. Each to their own and all that.

It's about gettin out there surley. All this "we don't like ****" that goes on really gets under my skin. (Check out the anti T4 Drivel on VZI Forum or what ever it's called if you don't know what i mean).

I bought my T4 because I like them, being a VW is a huge bonus I must say, but as a said early...

Live and Let Live...

Guy

Rusty, but loved T4 Owner..
Dont get me wrong, I am not anti-bongo, the words Bongo Fury just made me chuckle. I nearly did buy one, but the fuel economy lack of swivel options for the front seats, and the height of the vehicle (it wont go in a lot of car parks as it s over 2m) put me off.

I dont think anyone has been rude about them, in fact mostly the opposite. it's just a bit of mickey taking.

I read some of the comments on vzi - it doesnt offend me, i just get on with what I want to do,

I go scuba diving and there are groups of people who will slag you off if you dont dive the same way as they do. e.g. I dive with a piece of kit, derisively called by some YBOD or "yellow box of death" (dont ask why). I am about to buy a bike, no doubt some people will see me out on whatevver I buy and look down their noses at me. I let them get on with it.

However - none of this precludes me from making fun of others on the odd occasion :D:D

John R

·
Registered
652 Posts
Tongue firmly in cheek...A:

elpez2k you are forgiven :) I have friends with bongos... I hope they too will see the light one day...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
2 work colleagues had Bongos and loved them...Until one caught fire towing a caravan through France (went up so quickly and ferociously, taking the caravan with it, they only got out in shorts, lost their passports, clothes, money and shoes :eek:). The other one did the same thing on the North Devon link road. On hearing what had happened the dealer they got it from told them: 'They do that sometimes. They don't like running for long distances!'

Possibly why they are so cheap?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I am not anti-bongo, the words Bongo Fury just made me chuckle. I nearly did buy one, but the fuel economy lack of swivel options for the front seats, and the height of the vehicle (it wont go in a lot of car parks as it s over 2m) put me off.

I dont think anyone has been rude about them, in fact mostly the opposite. it's just a bit of mickey taking.

I read some of the comments on vzi - it doesnt offend me, i just get on with what I want to do,

I go scuba diving and there are groups of people who will slag you off if you dont dive the same way as they do. e.g. I dive with a piece of kit, derisively called by some YBOD or "yellow box of death" (dont ask why). I am about to buy a bike, no doubt some people will see me out on whatevver I buy and look down their noses at me. I let them get on with it.

However - none of this precludes me from making fun of others on the odd occasion :D:D

John R
Well put. I'm starting to sound like my dad!!!!! Forgot to mention that a girl from work just bought a Bongo, it's nice but I gotta admit I have taken the pi** out of it.

Guy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts