VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

481 - 500 of 619 Posts

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,174 Posts
****!! That’s bad news mate, but also potentially a lucky escape!
Thats a good point by Pete though, do many people have smoke detectors (or even carbon monoxide one) in their bus?? I think I might now...!
Definately something everyone should have!
I have this one in mine .... https://amzn.to/3nJwyNz
Long Life Battery (10 years), so no annoying low battery beeps every few months just when you don't want it. It is also very thin compared to most Smoke Detectors.
Same with CO detectors - another must have! FWIW, I went for this unit - https://amzn.to/3qnXyE9

I've got a fire extinguisher but no smoke detector, definitely on my buy list.
Fire Extinguisher another must have! I double-checked on location with a Motorhoming Fireman and he recommended fitting by the door.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
I've got a fire extinguisher but no smoke detector, definitely on my buy list.
Same, I have fire extinguisher and co2 detector for the gas but no smoke detector, I too will now get one cause you never know.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Thanks for the link Dave, out of interest whereabouts did you fit your smoke detector ?

·
8,174 Posts
Thanks for the link Dave, out of interest whereabouts did you fit your smoke detector ?
On the ceiling (so high as possible) and right by the sleeping area for maximum effect!

I made a mistake with the CO detector. I thought that should be fairly low, but that needs to be high as well I later found out.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Devastated tonight.

was chilling in the back with the tv on and I could smell something burning. I had the front cab curtains shut, so pulled them open and the front cab had filled with smoke. I immediately turn any electrics off in the back and disconnecting the live from the vans engine battery to the leisure battery. I open all the doors to let the smoke and the smell out. I could smell it was coming from under the passenger seat (where the leisure battery and the b2b charger and all the wiring is).

took the seat off to find that the connections on the ablemail b2b battery had burnt out resulting in the melting of the live cables. Absolutely shocked and gutted, what if I had been sleeping as I am planning on sleepingin here tonight ? How did none of the inline fuses from the battery pop to stop it ?

View attachment 187585

View attachment 187586

View attachment 187587

View attachment 187588
What rotten luck! At least its one of those situations where you can say, it could have been worse!

Long Life Battery (10 years), so no annoying low battery beeps every few months just when you don't want it. It is also very thin compared to most Smoke Detectors.
Same with CO detectors - another must have! FWIW, I went for this unit - https://amzn.to/3qnXyE9

Fire Extinguisher another must have! I double-checked on location with a Motorhoming Fireman and he recommended fitting by the door.
Ill definitely look into getting these, best to be safe than sorry!
Great service from you as always @Hoovie !

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts

I have been wondering where to mechanically mount it for easiest access should I ever need it, but yeah we had one fitted by the door on our caravan.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations Hoovie 👍🏻 And yes Pete extinguisher too, used to have a nice compact one in my car as it was legal requirement when I lived in Germany

·
8,174 Posts
Something else which I have (but not found an ideal place to position) is a fire blanket.

Had a kitchen pan fire (in the house, not van) just over 4 years ago and used a kitchen drying towel as no fire blanket. Suffice to say the burns are still healing ...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
We have one of these -

Only a 5 year battery but with a super bright led to light the place up should it go off in the middle of the night . Cost about £12 from b&q

·
8,174 Posts
We have one of these -

Only a 5 year battery but with a super bright led to light the place up should it go off in the middle of the night . Cost about £12 from b&q
Great idea with the light built in.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
We have one of these -

Just bought the same one mate, Amazon £13 arrived today. Will be installing this tonight after my recent scare

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Currently installing the new Ablemail B2B replacement that Hoovie sent out to me, arrived this week so thanks for that. I've sent the other one back to ablemail for investigation.

Be nice to get it all in and have the van back together with a working leisure battery again :)

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Hopefully its all sorted now then mate 👍
You still out using your van?
not since last week, plan to use it again on thursday.

Theres a red flashing light on the ablemail B2B just trying to figure out if thats an error or it means its charging ?

·
8,174 Posts
not since last week, plan to use it again on thursday.

Theres a red flashing light on the ablemail B2B just trying to figure out if thats an error or it means its charging ?
I think it is more likely a flashing Amber.
When in error mode, the LED goes Red and it has a pattern of pulsing which decodes to a particular error code.
When in charging mode, the LED flashes on and off slowly and is either Amber (close to Red in fact) or Green depending on what mode the charger is in (determined by the battery requirement).
From the manual:
Flashing Red - In fault mode (see codes below of number of short flashes followed by number of long flashes).
Flashing Amber - Battery flat ;constant current/bulk charging at 14.1V(12V secondary battery)
Flashing Green - Battery charged; float charging at 13.8V (12V secondary battery)

In Bulk Mode, the voltage of course will build up depending on charge state of battery, so it will not be 14.1V immediately.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
I think it is more likely a flashing Amber.
When in error mode, the LED goes Red and it has a pattern of pulsing which decodes to a particular error code.
When in charging mode, the LED flashes on and off slowly and is either Amber (close to Red in fact) or Green depending on what mode the charger is in (determined by the battery requirement).
From the manual:
Flashing Red - In fault mode (see codes below of number of short flashes followed by number of long flashes).
Flashing Amber - Battery flat ;constant current/bulk charging at 14.1V(12V secondary battery)
Flashing Green - Battery charged; float charging at 13.8V (12V secondary battery)

In Bulk Mode, the voltage of course will build up depending on charge state of battery, so it will not be 14.1V immediately.
Thanks, yes all sorted and working fine now. It was in fact the amber light just topping up the battery, went flashing green when it had finished

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
Latest edition.

bit ugly but safety over vanity. As recommended by bitterandtwisred. Built in emergency led light is a nice touch.

481 - 500 of 619 Posts