VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

681 - 700 of 743 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
Sorry i mis- typed that last post , we dont go anywhere WITHOUT hook-up hence we stick with a 240v fan heater .
oh right ok got ya :)

the goal is to make a camper that's completely self sufficient. Somewhere down the line i need to look at a solar panel

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Thats a big jump away from the Chinese diesel heaters you see at £100 .
Ive no personal experience of either 🤷‍♂️
yea it is. I don't want a 2nd diesel tank for the heater i just want to run it from the main fuel tank, and i quite like the idea of setting the heating on timers or remotely via an app so its nice and warm when we return. Also like how quite it will be over a cheap one. iam just not sure i trust the build quality and reliability of the cheap chinese ones, i feel that ive thrown some decent amount of money at the van so far and don't really want to cut corners on the cost of the build, even if it leaves me out of pocket lol

·
Registered
12,598 Posts
I know what you mean , i'd rather have proper stuff regardless.
Its good to compare stuff though to justify the extra cost over what you actually get for your money ...even if sometimes it just comes down to peace of mind .

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
I know what you mean , i'd rather have proper stuff regardless.
Its good to compare stuff though to justify the extra cost over what you actually get for your money ...even if sometimes it just comes down to peace of mind .
Yes i need to do a little more research before i commit to anything

Defo think this is the next job though

·
Registered
2013 Startline T5 Kombi
234 Posts
Ok you got me interested in this comment.

I know nothing about diesel heaters just starting to look at the moment. I don’t even have 240v hookup and don’t intend to. Is your diesel heater good on the battery then, wonder if mine isn’t ? If I have a diesel heater it will need to run off the battery, maybe I need to be looking into a solar panel too then ?

the new airtroinc setup I was looking is gonna come in at £1100. Super silent with extra app controller to remotely monitor the heat from an app.

it runs from 0.9 to 2.2kw and uses 34w power
If it helps, I finally got my 2kw autoterm diesel heater running and I left it on for an hour and the battery monitor went from 12.6 to 12.5. That was with nothing else running though.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
If it helps, I finally got my 2kw autoterm diesel heater running and I left it on for an hour and the battery monitor went from 12.6 to 12.5. That was with nothing else running though.
How you finding it ?

·
Registered
2013 Startline T5 Kombi
234 Posts
Only got it finally running yesterday but it heated up really well. I'm going to try and source a temperature sensor because it didn't come with one. It is noisier than I expected and I notice the muffler wasn't fitted plus the rubber pad got separated out from the rest of it when it was being fitted which won't help. If I was doing it over, I would take it to be fitted by someone who does it all the time tbh.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 · (Edited)
Only got it finally running yesterday but it heated up really well. I'm going to try and source a temperature sensor because it didn't come with one. It is noisier than I expected and I notice the muffler wasn't fitted plus the rubber pad got separated out from the rest of it when it was being fitted which won't help. If I was doing it over, I would take it to be fitted by someone who does it all the time tbh.
Ok thanks, yes the sound will bother me if it’s loud, the research continues

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
On another note I been busy away from the van working in my garage to turn it into a workshop/chill zone/ night club LOL

was busy building a kitchen unit for it. Complete with a thetford toilet LOL

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
Toilet on sliding shelf installed

Unit filled and primed

Installed power sockets in cupboards

painted and assembled

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 · (Edited)
Collected the black worktop from IKEA then cut and fitted it with a splash back with the cut offs

fitted some led lights under the top edge

and in full disco mode with the fog machine (the white vent on the end hides the fog machine)

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
I still have some KIngspan roof Insulation to put in and board the roof so it has a Ceiling, and have 20 spot lights for the ceiling to install.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Mate that is awesome, love it! (y)
One thing though, the fridge appears to have pop and no beer in it? :eek:

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
Mate that is awesome, love it! (y)
One thing though, the fridge appears to have pop and no beer in it? :eek:
You are correct but since this pic it now has 20 bottles in the top of Desperado LOL

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
You are correct but since this pic it now has 20 bottles in the top of Desperado LOL
Good man, nice chilled Desperado certain does hit the spot (y)

681 - 700 of 743 Posts