VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been in indo for the last 8 months, which is great... however my lwb T4 was left to sit outside for that entire time. Whilst i got Indo perfection the poor girl got a british winter. I'm back and want to make her beautiful again.

I ran her through the car wash today to see what budged and what didn't. There are lots of little moss patches (green dots/blemishes) and the surface feels a little rough. I've had a little look through the forum and am wondering if I need to clay the van?

I did go over the van before I left and treated a few areas for rust with kurust... wheel arches and the odd scratch and rust patch here and there. It looks like it's lasted, though in some places the rust has returned and the single coat of primer I managed to get down has bubbled up.

I'm in two minds with what to do... go over it and just polish & buff the turk out of it whilst redoing the rust treatments, then spray the patches white again. Or maybe hand her over to the professionals... just get a complete respray. The main issue is cost i guess... 8 months of nasi goreng, Bintangs & ding repairs have left me a bit strapped.

So I guess I'm asking for products and tips to get the paint looking so fresh & so clean. If anyone knows of a good place for re-sprays at either a decent rate or that might be interested in a trade swap in exchange for an awesome looking website... then please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
A bit unconventional , but on the assumption its too much for farecla , t-cut , etc ... local £ shop , a kitchen grease/grime spray ...!! Try a small area first ..spray on , let sit for 10 mins , then work it with fingertips , then wash off .. it wont remove paint , as a cutting compound will , but it might just remove accumulated crud you say you have .. As for th rusty bits , if funds are tight , take it back again , with a wire cup on a grinder , and re-treat , if the rust is surface only , treat yourself to a small tin of Galvafroid , apply as directed , IMO , its far better than anything else .. but it is expensive ..!! As long as theres no perforation of the metal , then liberally spray anything oily in all cavities ..!! You never know , you may just get it cleaned up , then have to leave it again ..??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate, thanks for the tip... will look in to it. I got a recommendation of Demon Machine, by car plan, from my local auto shop. He reckons it's pretty good when it comes to little stains. Will let you know how it goes... but I'll raid mums for some oven cleaner too!
Yep, I think taking it back is the way... I've been reading the sticky on rust treatment (here), it's a great article. Not sure about the skimming though. How important is that and is it only necessary if there's holes/deep scratches? Or is it important for the final finish / preventing the return of rust??

Thanks for getting back to me

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
DONT use oven cleaner , bud ...!! its caustic ..!! A grease/grime spray wont damage paint , but oven cleaner most probably will ..!! And it will attack other stuff , as well ..!! AS far as rust , it needs to be taken out , no other way . I,ve used most products , but Galvafroid by far the most effective ..!! (Its used to protect metal in very harsh climates) , providing its external . More than that , re-place with new metal , and treat internally as well ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts