VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I'm new to this forum and couldn't see a body work section (apologies if this is in the wrong place!)

I recently bought the Haynes body work repair guide because I have absolutley no idea about it at all. I wanted to remove the rust from the wheel arches and other areas of my van.

I started with the wheel arch, and have successfully removed all rust, cured, undercoated 4 times, overcoated 4 times and the job looks superb except I'm stuck on how to blend this area into my existing paintwork

I have a line of grey undercoat which pertrudes further than the white overcoat. I believe if I try to gently sand this area and blend it in, I will just uncover the grey undercoat more.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
well done for getting as far as you have, you have done all the hard work, have you primed the area in a similar colour to the top coat? Got mine from Halfords, l find this helps.

section off around repaired area with masking tape and newspaper, try to section off where there are panel joins or natural curves and spay whole area.

If using aerosol cans, hold 10inches away from panel, less is better as it can run.

apply primer x3 times, then sand down wet and dry until you have a good smooth key between coates, then top coat x4 times and wet dry sand between coats, finish off with laquer, good luckA:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
some great advice their ive got windscreen pillers to do on mine really tricky especialy as imy van has a pearlesant finish

i really think we need this to be made a sticky if thats what ya call it

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isobelle... I was slightly confused by the Haynes Guide I bought, to be honest it wasn't particularly clear what I should buy. So I bought a rust preventer undercoat and then the suggested topcoat for my 1998 t4.

All products were bought from Halfords, the primer is a soft grey colour which was the closest rust prevention primer. Is it usuall to use a primer more suited to your top coat?

I might mask off another 1 inch past the grey undercoat line, and then repeat the process before apart from the undercoat?

Hopefully that will mean I can then blend in that area with the main body. Any more advise would be much apprectiated!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
the damage l had was a 6inch long by 3inch wide scrape above rear wheel arch, wife reversed into wall by corner shop buying me a beer, typical:eek:

sanded paint off to metal, only did this on scraped section, then lightly sanded whole of panel to provide a key/only lightly sanded, chose to key whole panel as scrape did not go over other sections

masked off area where damaged panel met others, there is also a painted middle line along mine which was done as part of original conversion, this helped as l used this as a guide to mask below

once l masked the panel off, covered as much of the side of the van with news paper to protect exposed areas, covered wheel and bumper, this takes a little time

cleaned area to be sprayed with white spirit

sprayed primer red, x3/4 coats, wet and dry sand each time to provide smooth finish

sprayed top coat, x3/4 times, again wet dry sand each time to provide smooth finish

use coarse down smooth paper and clean with white spirit each time

leave for 10/15mins between coats

needs to be done indoors, if outside, needs to be dry and windless

finish off with clear laquer

takes time, but if you want a pukka job, without any lumps, bubbles or runs, it works, you may not get a perfect colour match, but over time it seems to blend T:

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you've resprayed a whole section which is easier to achieve. I think I've done something slightly wrong somehow when painting a section of a panel as I can see the undercoat round the line where I masked the section off?

I've got a really nice finish on what I've done (quite impressed with myself actually!) But as I say I've now got an annoying line of grey round the masked area, round the wheel arch, and I need to decide whether to spray a further top coat section or to try "feather" the section in like you explained above?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts