VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv nearly Finnished my conversion but it's down on the v5 as a panel van so how do I get it changed to a camper van, and Iv been told it will then be cheaper road tax and cheaper insurance as well.
so is this right?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Once youve finished your conversion send photos of to the dvla with a covering letter telling them what you have done, you will get cheaper insurance but we didnt get cheaper tax.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first thred reply!! hope it works and makes sense.. Am reliably informed that a visit to you nearest VOSA (Vehicle and Operator services agency) not sure how easy the website is to navigate but its a government agency (so probably a nightmare).. Among the obvious reasons to change you van classification ie insurance and tax etc as a panal van ie a commercial vehicle under 7.5tonnes, officially, you are restricted to 60mph on dualcarriageways:-( as your now no longer a panal van with, i assume seats in the back? you can be reclassified to a car derived van allowing you to, officially, go faster. if you want to that is!!!! Haven't got to that stage with my van yet, but will be paying a visit to VOSA myself. Oh one final note.. does your rear seat/bed have seat belts? If no. before paying a visit make it up as a bed instead of seats. A bit waffley - sorry:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your info, someone else said bout the seat belts witch Iv not got on my r&r and I don't know reay what to do about, didn't think bout putting it in to the bed and do u really think that will work?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had to do this last year ... I never visited anybody ..I simply circled the parts on the V5 I wanted changed (number of seats..motorcaravan)..and sent a covering note and photos...make sure the reg plate can be clearly seen in the photos ... I took one from front/back/each side and internal photos with beds made up and as a seat...dont know how far your going with your conversion but I also sent pics with my roof elevated my seats spun round and my table up.....my V5 came back changed a few weeks later ....no probs.... but I know people with similiar conversions to mine have had problems, though I cant see how you could not possible see it as a camper ... so I'd keep my fingers crossed as well.... :gl

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, the van should be finished in 2/3 weeks with a bit of luck part from the wheels only because I don't know what I want an don't know where to get them from the only thing I do know is that I want 20". I'm off to ghe tuning in 2 week for a remap, once it's all done I'll put some pics on oh an I'll let you know how it gos with the dvla.
Ps needs to all be done for Easter as off down to south of France 15day trip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah.. Dont take it for mot with the seat up (as a seat) with no seat belts, It will fail.. I have it on good authority!! chuck it down as a bed.. I will make some enqs via, shall we a say a useful contact, regarding reclassification without seats. Mind taking phots and sending in with v5 sounds good.. Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts