VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds a bit ominous, what do other vans have, fiat, Renault etc. if you think about it nothing is air tight, so I don't see how this could happen!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Panelling and carpetting over the rear vents certainly messes up your air flow. Some cowboy did it to mine before I got it and the dash vents barely worked- they just pressurise the van... Obviously depends on what other extra holes youve go, eg pop tops etc. My current quick fix is to remove some of the rear door seal, admittedly a bit of a bodge but works until I take the bed out etc!

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I make new ply panels , I use a router to groove vents , as in picture. Then carpet over. This allows air flow, and you can still close your doors!

·
Registered
496 Posts
not sure I can see where the air goes too, I see there must be a reason, but once we fill the void with sheepswool or whatever, it is essentially a dead end in there. Any science behind this?

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are rubberised "slam vents" (horizontal flaps) on either side of the van behind the rear bumper where it curves around the sides. When you shut your doors they allow the air pressure in the van to equalise quickly. You'll see other threads on here where folks have had problems with side doors being difficult to shut after a forensic sealing up of interiors with insulation. The door is effectively compressing the volume of air within the van as it shuts. Without somewhere else for the air to go, it will cause resistance to the door as the volume of air tries to equalise and escape around the closing door. An issue seems to be reported with air blowers by some, presumably for similar reasons of partial pressurisation.

I've never experienced the problem, but I took a similar approach to Kingfisher and added a few holes to my lower side panels before carpeting as a precaution :*

·
Registered
496 Posts
There you go Martin, Spirals got the answer, i should know better, when we cant get door closers to work properly on our building site, we open the windows a fraction for this very reason , the inspector sees an easily closing door! I just carpeted my ply quarter panels with no holes, how the he'll can I drill those now, never get the carpet off. Doh!

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is why the standard rear panels have holes in....to allow the slam vents to resieve air.
If you're using these panels just carpet over and leave insulation free at that area.
This problem is particularly noticable on tailgate models, when trying to shut the tailgate with the reat of the doors closed.
Remember the first time i came accross this, it took a bit of thought to work it out.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Peevious owner carpeted over mine now its hard to shut tailgate unless I have a door or window open, they ar enot called slam vents for nothingI:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts