VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiyall,

As we all know most supermarkets have a free 3hr parking or similar rule for shoppers but I was wondering if the rule is overlooked overnight?

I was travelling round Wales out of season and struggled to find sites open and would have liked to have parked up at a Tesco store I came across, more for security than anything else but wasn't sure of what they would do in practice.

What are your experiences?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
when i worked on nights,i used to park my artic on supermarket carparks when having a break,if you park well out of the way,and maybe even buy summat?they tend to leave you alone.trouble is,it only takes one numpty to ruin it by leavin rubbish etc,n it all goes t1ts up?:(

·
Registered
349 Posts
Parked in Asda overnite in Bristol Village,
Went in & Bought some Beers & spoke to the Security & asked if it was alreet as we would be in for Breakfast in the Morning,
NO PROBLEMO T:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
our local tesco in launceston ahve fitted cameras to the entarance to the car park, dunno if they are issueing tickets for the hours extra you stay or not!!

As if they dont make enough money!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Most supermarkets are now using ANPR to monitor car parking, so the timing is automatic 24/7. It was suggested to me that if the front number plate of a vehicle was obscured briefly when the vehicle was driven in the ANPR would not be able to `start the clock`. Couldn`t possibily comment on that one working or notI: Also works in motorway services allegedly

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tesco actually have a overnight friendly policy (aperently).

Where you can stay/sleep overnight in there carpark, as long you dont unpack anything on to the ground, have any waste pipes leaking fliud, be discreet, and theres only one or maybe 2 vans. T:

But its up to the store/security manager of the individual shops as to whether they want to follow it.
You are meant to ask them if its ok. I:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tesco actually have a overnight friendly policy (aperently).

Where you can stay/sleep overnight in there carpark, as long you dont unpack anything on to the ground, have any waste pipes leaking fliud, be discreet, and theres only one or maybe 2 vans. T:

But its up to the store/security manager of the individual shops as to whether they want to follow it.
You are meant to ask them if its ok. I:
Interesting comments guys thanks.

The above info is very encouraging but I imagine rolling into a Tesco late at night and trying to ask customer services if its ok to stay overnight would be a bit of a faff.

Would like to add though that Tesco and the like earn a fortune from setting up shops in OUR towns and villages so they ABSOLUTELY SHOULD have an overnight friendly policy. Considering the 3hr rule is meant to stop commmuters parking up and heading to work its no hardship to let the likes of us forum members to stay overnight in an empty carpark when we are making a long journey. We are then very likely to pop in in the morning to have a breaky or top up on supplies, everybody wins T:

On consideration I think I will just stay over when I need to in a discreet and considerate manner as above and wait to see what happens. A lady at Tesco did tell me once that they send out a warning first so worth the risk me thinks ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts