VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after years of trying to get a Car-PC in the various vehicles I owned (and collecting a shed load of PC bits & bobs in the process) I recently discovered that the World of in-car entertainment and technology had finally merged and caught up with my dream.

So just finished installing one of these in the Van.

I haven't managed to get any photos of it in the cab yet as the light is fading, but so far it's looking good.

Runs Android (Gingerbread) and have already side-loaded some apps into it, and hoping to replace the Cr*p supplied Navigation (iGo) with a copy of Co-Pilot Live I already have tomorrow.

Once I'm happy with it and its has bedded in will more than likely root it and then really start to experiment I:

Specs are here if anybody is interested. http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-smart

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I am also looking at one of these as i have finally decided the old pioneer avic D3 is not able to deliver what i want.

I really want to know about the video outputs as we run rear screens for the girls in the back, does this work ok when using VLC and/or the built in app? (I think you might need a special version of VLC not the one on asteroid market)

Do you have a 3g dongle plugged in, or use tethering?

John R

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also looking at one of these as i have finally decided the old pioneer avic D3 is not able to deliver what i want.

I really want to know about the video outputs as we run rear screens for the girls in the back, does this work ok when using VLC and/or the built in app? (I think you might need a special version of VLC not the one on asteroid market)

Do you have a 3g dongle plugged in, or use tethering?

John R
John,

I believe the rear screens will run rear screens, however I do know that the VLC app is a bit fussy about which video compression formats it will run. And I'm not sure myself about which version of VLC will or wont work, sorry.

Although personally I do not use rear screens. It maybe worth tracking down an official Parrott Installer who has one on display/demo so you can check it out or at least ask the question.

I use tethering (USB or Bluetooth) and it works fine.

I'm still very happy with it but then I'm a Tech head Geek at heart !

Cheers J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts