VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only ever bought new.

How much tread comes on a new tyre? 8mm? 10mm?

Trying to work out the economy of buying a set of decent quality (Michelin) part worn, down to 5mm vs buying something cheap and nasty (<insert cheap tyre here> eg Sagitar)

How much is fitting likely to be for 4x Part worns? As I said I've only ever bought new where fitting is included....

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I.bought 4 part worns the other week for my car. Gave me the choice of Michelins, Dunlops or summat else and let me pick which 4 I wanted. They had between 8 and 10mm on them and he wanted £40 each. I chose Michelins which were around £97 each new up the road. Less than half price for more than half the wear when I was skint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was shocked at the fact that Tyre places were wanting £50 upwards for 4tyres fitted and then balanced!!

SHOCKER!!

Managed to get mates rates and get the lot done for £20

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
New car tyres have 8mm from new and obviously there done in at 1.6mm
personally i wont run part worns as you dont know how they have been treated
for example people climbing kerbs wont show on the side walls but may be damaging the cords / ply
that turns into a potential blow out
theres other issue too
for me its not an option get them new and you know where they have been
tyres are your first point of contact with the black stuff
enough said T:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
New car tyres have 8mm from new and obviously there done in at 1.6mm
personally i wont run part worns as you dont know how they have been treated
for example people climbing kerbs wont show on the side walls but may be damaging the cords / ply
that turns into a potential blow out
theres other issue too
for me its not an option get them new and you know where they have been
tyres are your first point of contact with the black stuff
enough said T:
dont agree mate...i would much rather run a checked mich part worn to a cheap budget new tyre..

after you have drove a few miles are your tyres not part worns..

i have run and used part worn tyres for over prob 17 years now and never had a problem...i have also sold part worns for the last 5 years and only ever had one problem...

half the part worns are removed from reps cars because of punc repairs...which in any normal case would be repaired,but most tyre companys will remove and re place...

i understand where you are coming from,but you cant slate part worns when as you say you have never used them...

ask anyone on here who has bought tyres from me..!

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I.bought 4 part worns the other week for my car. Gave me the choice of Michelins, Dunlops or summat else and let me pick which 4 I wanted. They had between 8 and 10mm on them and he wanted £40 each. I chose Michelins which were around £97 each new up the road. Less than half price for more than half the wear when I was skint.
part worn with between 8mm and 10mm, ile have some of them please.... did the first owner go around collecting rubber to stick back on them....:eek:. they only have 8mm new....
and as above,, quality branded part worns are ok with me had some off the man above ( colese ) and still on my van...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think a balance and valve is about £11 inc Vat :*

And I think nowt wrong with part worns , a lot come from company cars/vans they change a set at a time even if it's only the fronts or rears that are worn .

Also a good quality part worn will out last some of the cheapo non brands, and are better made too

·
17,028 Posts
My last couple of sets have been budgets but have used part worns before with no problem.
As regard to not knowing how they have treated, its a point, but if you bought a secondhand car/van with decent tyres would you change the tyres because you don't know the history ?
exactly mate...a tyre is designed to be used...once you buy new and drive on them,are they not then part worn tyres!..:confused:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
dont agree mate...

after you have drove a few miles are your tyres not part worns..

i understand where you are coming from,but you cant slate part worns when as you say you have never used them...

ask anyone on here who has bought tyres from me..!
After i have driven a few miles yes my tyres are part worns but there my part worns as ive explained i know how they have been treated ,
I can slate part worns i have seen quite a few bulged etc ive also been a mechanic for 25 years and see how the majority of people treat tyres
i understand why you have jumped on my post as you sell part worns im not looking to stuff your sales
but the OP asked i answered T:

·
17,028 Posts
After i have driven a few miles yes my tyres are part worns but there my part worns as ive explained i know how they have been treated ,
I can slate part worns i have seen quite a few bulged etc ive also been a mechanic for 25 years and see how the majority of people treat tyres
i understand why you have jumped on my post as you sell part worns im not looking to stuff your sales
but the OP asked i answered T:
thats cool mate was not having a go,just another side to the story...T:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Can get part worn from a breakers round my way and the cost is about 15 quid fitted

But only if they have the size I need at the time

With an unlimited budget ,,Yes I would go for new tires as would every one

The only kind I will never use are remolds even though all the speel about them sais they are just as good now a days as a new set

After seeing the tread peel of a new remold I would not trust them ever !!

I have 2 tires on the rear axel of my van at the mo that I won on fleebay a few week ago no problems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts