VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with the passenger side door lock on my 1999 T4 800 special and was wondering if you could help. The key is able to 'lock and unlock' the door from the outside however the door only opens around 2cm before stopping - I think the mechanism latch that holds the door to the frame of the car isn't opening all the way.

I am unable to open the door at all because it is locked in position, therefor I am unable to take the door card off. I can however can bend it back at the top by the window but access to the mechanism is very very tight. Once the door can eventually be opened I'm aware that the door lock mechanism etc can be replaced however am stuck in that the door wont open. As far as I'm aware, the catch in the door lock mechanism isn't full opening when the door handles are used, so is remaining attached to the metal on the car's frame.

Im at a loose end as all the information online to solve similar problems requires you to firstly open the door to access the screws holding the door handle, door card removal and eventual lock replacement!!

Hopefully someone can help as I really don't want to have to drill or cut out the locks and ruin my T4!

Thank you all :ILU:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Usually with most vehicles you remove door card, first removing seat if needs be for access, then regulator panel or whatever similar, then glass etc if needs be, then lock from door interior in pieces if needs be.

On some lock packs there are ways to disengage deadlocking once you have access, no idea on T4.

Have had to do it on Passats twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mindriot for your quick reply!

I haven't thought of removing the seat to have more access actually that might give me more space to then take the door card off then as you say I can get closer to that mechanism.

I'll give that a go this weekend - thanks for the help!

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,155 Posts
You don't need the door fully open to remove the "card".
Remove the interior handle and lock pin. (Window winder if manual)
If you pull the rubber seal from the body off, you should be able to get to the plastic screw at the back.......(top of the card trim...usually grey)
That just leaves the front one.....can't get to that without the door open :(

You should be able to get enough flex to lift the card, and possibly get to the catch.....
Removing the seat would give better access....but it's a pain for your knees!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts