VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much as the title says. Whenever my passenger side front wheel hits a bump there's a knock / bang / looseness which I would like to sort out. The driver's side rides over bumps solidly with no issues. When I bought the van last year the documentation stated that all the front suspension bushes had been recently replaced with polyurethane bushes so one has either gone pretty quickly or it's something else. Does anyone have any ideas what I should look out for?

Cheers. T:

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
there's loads in that area without bushes. top shock plate bolts to chassis. either ball joint or cv joint.

best thing to do is jack van up and support the corner solidly with axle stand. then start moving stuff with a good leaver. T:

·
Registered
167 Posts
all depending on what type of clunk it is, but first thing i would do is check your top and bottom ball joints for play in them you only need a little bit of play for them to clunk over bumps! T:

·
Registered
328 Posts
bottom ball joint causes this ,my ps side looked perfect on the mot and when checked for movement but once off the van was absolutely shot.
if its lowered it could just just be hitting the bump stop.

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) +1 for lower ball joint (more of a 'thud' than a bang?)

I have had both of mine done in the last 2 years.

Now I have a split boot on the ball joint on the passenger side :( it sounded like a rubber 'squeak' till I lubed it, getting changed again for the MOT.

Chris

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
+ 2 for lower ball joint, when removed mine was absolutely shot, but when in situ didn't show any movement. This is because it is under a large load from the torsion barT: Don't buy a cheap one and buy new bolts & a nut for it, they don't cost much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be checking out the ball joints then cheers guys. It's not lowered at all so definitely not the bump stops. Thanks for your input all who replied. T:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
:) +1 for lower ball joint (more of a 'thud' than a bang?)

I have had both of mine done in the last 2 years.

Now I have a split boot on the ball joint on the passenger side :( it sounded like a rubber 'squeak' till I lubed it, getting changed again for the MOT.

Chris
Exactly the same on mine last year, passenger side lower ball joint. Squeeking rubber sound and clunk over bumps. Both replaced, problem solved T:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts