VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we’ve had the van for a little while now, bought as a basic van with air con, electric mirrors, windows and central locking- first night we got it home like a kid with a new toy

and one in daylight

First mod as to fit a towbar, I bought a complete kit from PF jones and got it fitted- still need to get it coded with vag com for the tell-tale on the dash

straight forward to fit

Picked up a caralelle front bumper and head lights, a set of range rover alloys and got the windows fitted professionally-fitted the seats that I removed from the t4 when I sold it and then took it up to North Wales last summer with the kids for a holiday

BlackRock sands where the kids had a drive:eek:

the cottage we rented for the week

off to Blaenau Ffestiniog for a bit of mountain biking and zip wire slide, our son with the van

bit of a whirlwind first post but it basically brings us up to date for the conversion to beginT:

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This morning I went down to pick up spares in Swansea as they were breaking a newish caravelle and picked up a cab carpet in black :cool:, it was filthy dirty and soaking wet but in good condition so I gave it a blast with the pressure washer and it came up like new, its currently drying in the garage

also got the sliding door step and rear threshold cover

happy with them but not quite ready for them just yet

over the past week I've stripped out the seats, ply and btm half of the dash, and done the flashbanding

I used silent coat on the roof and bulkhead and arch (forgot to get a pic of the roof)

having used both products I can whole heartedly recommend the silent coat, really easy to use and defiantly more effective than flashband tape T:

on top of the silentcoat on the roof I got 5m of 7mm closed cell foil faced self adhesive foam from MVM,

there is limited space in the roof and as the light we've got from Maplins need to be cut into the headlining I need as much space as possible, got the roof completely covered

we had enough left over to do the tops of the rear quarter panels and the sliding door

then went the usual route of foil bubble wrap and plastic bottle insulation

and that's as far as I got tonight, I cant do much more of the insulation until I get the 240v hook up and split charger wires in place, so that's next on the list

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to mention that I'd also changed the barn doors for a tailgate, fairly straight forward using the guide on here, luckily it came complete with glazing, locks, wiper motor and wiring

unfortunately the plug was completely different to the one fitted to my van so I removed the plug it from my door, traced the wires back and fitted it to the tailgate, this left me with the wires for the heated rear screen and wiper to sort out

the heated rear screen is easy enough, just needs earthing and a power supply, found this relay which gives a 10min power once energized
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181543255317?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I also got hold of an original switch which once I've worked out the connections will make the pulse necessary for the relayT:

for the wiper I tested the connections with the aid of a spare battery, I earthed to brown and then tried power to the other three connections, only the fourth one moved the wiper- but only once, if i swapped the wires around then it would run constantly which is ok for wash mode but not ideal for normal use, then i tried another earth and bingo- the wiper has a nice intermittent speed and comes back to rest in the same place every time:D

first two wires to earth and then the fourth to power

for the power ill just install a switch on the dash to another relay and job doneT:

not sure what to do with the washer yet as the pipe has been cut right near the grommet so am a bit worried about getting a good join to it, might have a look at it later on

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started to install the split charger components too, fitted the fuse as near the battery as possible and the relay under the scuttle panel where it should be nice and dry

then ran the cable inside via the grommet ready to route to the drivers seat

i had a bit of a problem with water getting into the van, there were four roof bolts missing either side of the van (presumably from where a roof rack was removed) this was easily sorted with some stainless m6 bolts and some sealer but while working on the van i could see water coming from the sliding door runner cover clips and the blanking cover that would house the sliding door motor, i bought the updated clips from vw and used some polyurethane adhesive to seal the cover which unfortunately back fired, the clips sealed fine but the motor blank was still leaking so had to be removed again- easier said than done as it was now glued into place
the polyurethane had also touched the cover panel so that too was stuck fast :(
I had to run a blade down the back of the cover paned to separate it

then remove the door runner and cut out the plastic housing

then cleaned it all up which took a while

then used the silver foil tape to seal the hole so as not to repeat the problem with sticking the sliding door cover, i'll use some polyurethane on the inside to give it more strength but ive got to get some more clips from vw though now

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the wire run into the tailgate for the reversing camera, bought a longer cable from ebay as the std one would have been a bit tight, unfortunately after struggling to get the wire through the grommet and down to the handle to connect it to the camera I found that it was a loose connection, not wanting to go through the whole process again I cable tied the connection together then shrink wrapped it to keep it in place- tested it on the screen and it seems to be ok

and the camera fitted to the numberplate light panel

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the 240v hook up behind the rear bumper, would like to have put it up under the rear light but in the interest of getting the van finished I thought it could be a project for another day, this was easier and took less time

fitted the bracket for my sunglasses holder

and gave all the cavities a good dose of some noxudol to help prevent future problems

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys, fairly happy with the progress but its taking longer to sort out some of the smaller jobs than anticipated

got the insulation finished off

went to the local scrap yard and got hold of a fuse box from a golf, took it apart for the connectors

used them to populate some of the unused spaces in the fuse box

ran an ignition live from fuse 19 to a relay to give them power, and used them to power the auxiliary bits on the dash

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bit more progress, got the 9mm battens glued to the floor with polyurethane adhesive

made up some pointed bolts so that I can accurately drill the floor for the tie down points

cut out the flooring slightly oversized to make it easier to handle once in the van for final trimming

then glued the floor in with concrete blocks to weigh it down, once dried filled the seams with a skim of body filler

also got the cab carpet in Rasp:

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks, the cab carpet came from a caravelle that was breaking locally, I didn't realise how difficult they were to get hold of until recently so it was a lucky find especially at the price I gave for it:D

my evo units are here and mostly built up, just waiting on a couple of bits and then they'll be fitted

also sorted a bed from a local company that are trimming it at the beginning of this week so its almost there:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
went to the local scrap yard and got hold of a fuse box from a golf, took it apart for the connectors

used them to populate some of the unused spaces in the fuse box

Thats a neat idea-I may have to 'borrow' it!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the idea from someone on here too volks T:

Its been a week of highs and lows but we've made good progress as I've had a couple of week off, I originally gave the front headlining to a local trimming company to cover it in suede type material and asked them to order me enough material to do the rear boards too- they convinced me to I would be better off getting them to do the rears too as it wasn't much work and they had better glue etc

so I took the front section to them as agreed but had a problem with the rears as the first set were damaged when they arrived, in fairness they were changed fairly quickly but we then discovered that the rear most section did not line up with the holes in the van, after many ignored emails, facebook messages and phone calls I decided to fill the old holes with polyurethane adhesive and drill new holes using the original headlining as a template. This bought us to last week and I delivered the rear boards to the trimmers who said they'd be ready Monday this week which was great as we had decided to try to make it to 'dubs in the middle' for our first outing, Monday came and went but no phone call so Tuesday I phoned them to see if they were ready to be picked up and was told they would be ready Friday:eek:, not sure what to do I asked if they could just cover the rear board so that I could at least start getting the units in- they were just too busy and it would be Friday- so we asked if we could pick the boards up and the material so that I could make a start, we jumped in the van an went to see them only to be told that we couldn't have the material as there was a fault with it and it had to be sent back!! after a heated exchange of words we bought everything back with us, what a complete waste of time:(

now in a bit of a dilemma we started looking at quick fix solutions, nobody stocked the material we were looking for locally but Mrs H had a light bulb moment and went to argos and got hold of a set of suedette curtains, the material was quite thin and I was not convinced but had little option so we went for it- and started covering the boards

the first one

fitted with the lights and I think they look much better than I expected so am really happy :)

made a start on the rear door too
drilled holes for the lights

covered it in carpet

popped the lights in and connected everything up and put it in the van, it was at this point that I realised that id actually done it backwards as it is not symmetrical, the cut out for the wiper was the wrong was around- no time to redo it so will have to wait :(

but it all works :D

on a better note, started to fit the units

and that's as far as I got tonight, feeling much better about the whole thing now (sorry about the rantI:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts