VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post, really hope it's not a duplicate!

I'm looking at a set of Audi Q7 20" rims to go on my T28 and the chap I'm buying from has kindly informed me they are 130pcd. Does anybody have any experience with adapters? A few points:

Are they safe? Should I avoid them?
Do they space the wheel out so far they look ridiculous?
Are there good makes/bad makes? Cost?

Any help much appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi.
I run adapters on my van and my car with no problems what so ever.
I use h&r on the car as I really hack it about but the ones on the van are quite cheep ( I didn't have much money at the time)
the h&r cost just over £100 per pair and the van ones about £175 the set.
How far they push the wheels out depend on the off set of the wheels as your adapters will be at least 20mm thick so this will have to come off the et of your new wheel.
I can't help much more as I don't know the et of your new wheels or whats a good et for a t5.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. There are a set of H&R adapters on eBay for £300 (ouch), where did you find yours for £100 per pair? There are some others for £89 per pair but they say they are for converting BMW 120 to Porsche 130 (eBay item 280979981605). Would these do the job? I guess the other variable is the hub bore size? (I planned to measure this but can't jack my van up due to the side bars fitted by a previous owner blocking the jacking points doh!) I think I may need to do my homework and get all the measurements together before I think about parting with cash. I'll post details once I know more. What do you mean by "et"? I think 20mm will hopefully be negligible once the wheels are on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow Shaun L's thread is crazy! I didn't even realise you could do so much to a van, what a transformation! That is a seriously low bus! The tyres on the rims I have my eye on are UHP 275/45R20 and my current tyres are 235/50zr18, am I right in thinking the new wheels will stick out 40mm further? So I need the new wheels to have an offset (ET) of 40mm more positive to sit under the arches like my current wheels? In fact 60mm if I was going to fit 20mm pcd adapters!? So Shaun, you re-drilled your hubs to 130 pcd, that seems pretty hardcore to a newbie like myself but it's something I'll look in to. Shaun, if you're out there any additional info on the ride would be useful. Do you get rubbing? Has your turning circle quadrupled? :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have 20" Kahn RSX's, 9j with an offset of 54, 5x130 Audi Q7 fitting. I'm using 20mm H&R pcd adaptors. I wish I'd have gone for wider rear adaptors (see pics below)
Its currently lowered on H&R 40mm springs but will get coilies and go about 20mm lower once I've kitted out the rear.
Hope this helps T:

Front...

Rear...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Eagy, sweet van mate. I see what you mean about the rear sitting slightly further in to the arch, I've just checked and mine are the same. Forgive my tardiness but your wheels are 9j? Is that 9" wide? As I mentioned my current tyres are 235 which is approx 9" and my offset is et37 and they sit just like yours as I have no spacers. The Q7 wheels have 275 tyres which I make about 11"! I just can't see how they'll fit? Is it possible to fit 11" wide wheels on a T5 without them sticking out? My bloody alternator has just died anyway so the wheels are now on hold :mad:

·
Registered
163 Posts
i have 9s on the front of mine, with the offset of 42, with hub adaptors this brings it down to 22 which on the front is as wide as i would want, i run a low profile tire and mine will rub a bit now and again over very extreme bumps, i am a on coilovers all the way down and a 40mm hub mod, the back is fine, i have put an extra 5mm on the back and would like more tbh, how wide are your q7 wheels? shaun redrilled his hubs to get the front lower as like mine would just sit on the tire!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi. I gave it a miss regarding this particular set of wheels as they were on eBay and I didn't want to rush into buying them until I knew what was involved with fitting them. There will be more...:) I'm not sure the exact spec of the wheels but the tyres were 275/45 R20. Plan is to do some serious homework on all things alloy related and then start looking again. Does anybody have a short list of 120 pcd wheels that'll bolt straight on and look sweet? I believe range rover is one make? What are the widest wheels people have squeezed on without rubbing issues and that don't stick out proud of the arches? I'm guessing about 10" max?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Range Rovers, all BMW wheels and some jaguars are 5 x 120 PCD. If you go on Ebay type in 5 x 120 alloys and that will find you a few. Piston heads classifieds is also good as you can find some bargains. Wheel width doesnt mean anything without the correct offset.
If you find some wheels you like get the width and offset details of them and then google wheel offset calculator. Type in your current setting of wheels and setting of new wheels. It will tell you how far out or in they sit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top advice! Thanks a lot, I'll have a gander. What I meant by max width was there must be a limit to the width of wheel that'll fit between the inside/back of the wheel arch i.e. the bit you can see when you look inwards and the outside of the wheel arch i.e. where the bodywork of the van starts. I guess I could just measure this with a tape. My current wheels are 18" by 9" and it looks like there's about 20mm of space between the back of the wheel and the inside of the arch and, as Eagy described, they could probably stick out about 10/20mm. Allowing for a bit of clearance I reckon I could fit 10" wide wheels on the rear? As for the front I'm sure not how much clearance is needed for turning the wheels. Sorry to labour the point, the reason I ask is because I'm sure the Q7 wheels are 11" wide which seems like they'd stick out about an inch past the arches, regardless of where the hubs are? Really sorry if I'm waffling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep that's the ones! Damn so they would have been perfect with 20mm adapters :( I guess tyre sizes alone can be misleading. Great link P7een. Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
mine are 9s with a offset of 22 on the front and 17 on the back, this would be mean you could put 10s on with a et 35 no problem and 11s with a et of 45, on the front you could run 10s but they would need a high offset

heres how mine sits from the back

the front

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
mine are 9s with a offset of 22 on the front and 17 on the back, this would be mean you could put 10s on with a et 35 no problem and 11s with a et of 45, on the front you could run 10s but they would need a high offset

heres how mine sits from the back

the front

Have you had any problems with tyres catching the arch on your fronts, mine are a similar poke to yours and ive had to raise the front coilies up about 15mm due to rubbing on bouncy roads.

·
Registered
163 Posts
yeah ever so slightly catches now and again! im running 235/35/19s not ideal but it works, might look at cutting the bit out of the arch where the screw is to see if it helps! have also though about re-drilling my hubs or wheels as i would like the fronts tucked in!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
yeah ever so slightly catches now and again! im running 235/35/19s not ideal but it works, might look at cutting the bit out of the arch where the screw is to see if it helps! have also though about re-drilling my hubs or wheels as i would like the fronts tucked in!
Think thats where mine are catching on the screw of the inner arch. What widths are your front pcd adaptors? I was running 15mm fronts and 20mm rears on my old van.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts